Highlighted
ancientworld
1 Copper

Black Screen after splash, Freeze during Safe Mode. Been looking for answer for 8 hours.

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 running windows XP.  

So the problem goes like this.  I turn on the computer and go through BIOS first screen to option menu for Safe mode.   If I select Normal start up, it goes to splash loading screen and after loading freezes on a black screen.  If I choose Safe Mode (anyone of the 3)  It loads up to "multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys" and then freezes on that line.

I've looked all over google and found similar situations but none that had a solution for my dilemma.  HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE>E>E>E...

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jackshack
5 Tungsten

Re: Black Screen after splash, Freeze during Safe Mode. Been looking for answer for 8 hours.

EDIT:  Before going to the trouble of digging into your computer, you should try running chkdsk from the repair console.  You will find instructions for that in the article given in the link below.

I found this on the net:  Computer Freezes at mup.sys in Safe Mode. The author points out that the actual problem is usually somewhere else, however, and I have found that device drivers can sometimes lead to this event.  Try removing your peripherals one at a time, beginning with the external devices.  If you still get the problem, try removing the PCI expansion cards one at a time.  If you have an add-on graphics card, however, leave that alone for now.

If you have removed everything except keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and still have the problem, re-seat your cables to the hard drives, DVD/CD drives.  If still no joy, re-seat the memory.  If nothing has worked, and you can't see a helpful solution in the linked article, post back.

Dell Forum member since 2005

0 Kudos