Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2010 17:00

Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro and Dell

Ive read in many places that the Intensity Pro is not compatible with Dell machines, is this true? They don't work with a single Dell machine? I have a XPS 420, could someone please tell me if the Intensity Pro will work on my machine cause I really want one of those cards.

Thanks

Callum

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 12th, 2012 12:00

This is not a Dell product.

The E6520 uses the Chipset
Mobile Intel® QM67 Express Chipset  it does not have a native USB 3.0 port on it so Its not going to EVER work.

Ports, Slots & Chassis
Network connector (RJ-45), USB 2.0 (4) – 1 USB/eSATA combo, Stereo headphone/Microphone combo jack, Memory card reader, 54 mm ExpressCard, 1394, Docking

The Shuttle seems to be for Apple Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt.

Before installing Pocket UltraScope, Intensity Shuttle or UltraStudio Pro, it is essential to check what Renesas USB 3.0 firmware and driver versions are currently installed on your computer. This includes onboard USB 3.0 chipsets and USB 3.0 PCIe add on cards using the Renesas chip. To do this follow the steps in this PDF.

ExpressCards for notebooks are not supported and will not work. The bandwidth they currently support is not suitable for UltraStudio Pro, UltraStudio SDI, Intensity Shuttle, or Pocket UltraScope.

USB 2.0 is not supported. The products will not function. A USB 3.0 port is required. The USB3.0  port CANNOT BE Added by Module or Express card.

Intel X58 series motherboards with onboard USB 3.0 support are required to support Blackmagic Design's USB 3.0 video products. The onboard USB 3.0 support of other motherboards, such as the P55 series, cannot be used.

Listed below are motherboards that have been verified for Intensity Shuttle, UltraStudio Pro and Pocket UltraScope:

• ASUS P6X58D-Premium
  • ASUS P6X58D-E
  • Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
  • Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
  • Asus Crosshair IV

Many motherboards have shipped with older firmware and drivers which won't support Blackmagic Design's USB 3.0 products. It is essential to check the firmware and driver versions of your motherboard's USB 3.0 chip by following the procedure in this PDF file.

Notebooks certified for use with UltraStudio Pro and Intensity Shuttle:

• MSI GE620

Presently there are no certified notebook computers for use with Pocket UltraScope. Testing is being conducted on several new notebook models and the results are expected soon. We will update this support note when we find new notebook models which can be reliably used with Pocket UltraScope. We advise against purchasing notebook computers for use with it until certification testing has been successfully completed.

On the Windows platform, you can use Blackmagic Design's USB 3.0 products with a P55 or X58 series motherboard which has been fitted with a USB 3.0 PCI Express expansion card. USB 3.0 expansion cards are available for around US$30.

The USB 3.0 expansion card should meet the following criteria:

• x4 lane PCI Express. This card can be fitted in a x4 lane or faster slot in any supported series of motherboard. We recommend the Asus U3S6.
  • x1 lane PCI Express 2.0. This card can be fitted in a x1 lane or faster PCI Express 2.0 slot in any supported series of motherboard. We recommend the Gigabyte GA-USB3 and the Shintaro USB 3.0 PCIe expansion card.

On some motherboards, it may be necessary to enable PCI Express 2.0 for 1 lane PCIe slots in the BIOS to ensure full bandwidth is available to the PCI Express 2.0 slots.

Make sure your USB 3.0 card is installed in a PCIe slot connected to the North Bridge. This will ensure full bandwidth is being provided to your card. If you see the image of your Blackmagic output flashing, this would be a good indication that your USB 3.0 card is not running at full bandwidth.

Many USB 3.0 cards have shipped with older firmware and drivers which won't support Blackmagic Design's USB 3.0 products. It is essential to check the firmware and driver versions of your USB 3.0 card by following the procedure in this PDF.

7 Posts

March 15th, 2012 14:00

Hey there SpeedStep, what you have posted is exactly right, the chipset on the XPS 420 is way to old to use the Intensity Shuttle over USB 3.0 and it doesn't have a built in USB 3.0 slot anyway.

When I made this post a while ago it was for the Intensity Pro which is a PCI express card, not the Intensity Shuttle which is USB 3.0 and recently they released a Thunderbolt version for Mac users.

For other people that stumble across this thread like you seem to have, I went for an AverTV CaptureHD PCI capture card and it worked perfectly in the XPS 420. The quality was pretty good, not as good as what you get from the Blackmagic Products, but at least it worked.

7 Posts

September 4th, 2010 07:00

Thats the intensity shuttle, the Pro is a PCI-e card :)

14.4K Posts

Those specs are for both units if you look at the layout of the specs HERE

14.4K Posts

The unit requires a usb 3.0 motherboard in order to work. Since that spec is new few systems have them. Your 420 is only 2.0 spec and according to the specs :

Installation: USB 3.0. Requires an x58 based motherboard with onboard USB 3.0, or a USB 3.0 PCI Express card and an x58 or P55 series motherboard. Does not support USB 2.0 capture and playback. Please check the Support pages to see the full system requirements.

7 Posts

Under the Intensity Pro it says 

Computer Interface: PCI Express 1 lane, compatible with 1, 4, 8 and 16 lane PCIe slots. 

and my XPS does have them lol, the card shouldnt have anything to do with USB as it has no USB on it

7 Posts

September 4th, 2010 08:00

Yeah thats where I read it. The thing is I saw a youtube video where sombody was installing the intensity card into a XPS and it worked perfectly lol. I really dont get it.

Cheers anyways :)

14.4K Posts

Found that video and it appears to be a 700/710/720 system that the guy was installing it in. Interesting as you say. If you can get a good return policy it might be worth a shot as the 420's came out after the 7xx series and used a similar motherboard.

14.4K Posts

See HERE about half way down right under the recommended motherboards  where it states Dell systems are not supported. I would strongly suspect it would be due to the Dell bios.

7 Posts

September 4th, 2010 09:00

Yeah thinking that too, any idea where would be the best place to order, dont want to pay too much though :)

June 13th, 2012 18:00

Hi there,

I purchased black magic shuttle and e6520 laptop already and looks like black magic shuttle is not compatible with e6520. is there any other shuttle i can use for e6520 laptop? thank you.

7 Posts

June 14th, 2012 00:00

Hey there, the shuttles won't work on your laptop because as said in the previous posts, it doesn't have USB 3 support or even have a good enough chipstet. There is only 1 other version of the Shuttle that requires a Thunderbolt connection which your laptop also doesn't have.

There are other capture cards you can go for, seems you are using a laptop for video capture you should go for the Hauppauge HD PVR because it uses USB 2 and an external power supply. It also doesn't require a powerful machine like the Shuttle does as the encoder is built into the HD PVR itself.

My XPS 420 used to struggle with HD video recording, so you probably should go with a capture device that doesn't cause too much stress seems you are using a laptop.

Hope I could help :)

No Events found!