Highlighted
STFiancee
1 Copper

Blank Computer Screen after startup

Hi all! I have a Dell Dimension E520. Last night I was trying to get the ojects on my screen to fit in the full screen. All of a sudden something happened. When I would reboot my computer, the monitor would start up like normal and once it got to where the desktop screen would show it's just blank. The monitor is on because you can see a dark color on the screen. The power button changes colors from green to amber. It also says its in safe mode and to push a keyboard key, the computers power button or move the mouse. When I tried all of that, nothing happened. I can not get into anything on my computer such as control panel as nothing appears on the screen. I also tried another monitor and it still did the same exact thing. Could someone please help me? Im worried my computer has bit the big one. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Blank Computer Screen after startup

Hi Stfiancee,

This sounds to me like an operating system problem, not a hardware issue, but let's try a couple things.

Boot to the advanced boot menu by tapping F8 just as the blue Dell logo disappears. The timing is a bit tricky. Once there, select Safe Mode and see if the computer boots into Safe Mode. If it does, try running system restore and pick a restore point prior to when you were trying to fix the full screen problem.

If you are unable to boot to safe mode, try the option called "last know good configuration".

0 Kudos
STFiancee
1 Copper

hi osprey4,

thx so much for your input. i did try to go into safe mode but it barely starts a scan and acts as if it freezes. at the bottom of the screen it says please wait but just sits there. I also did the "last known good configuration" and it still left my screen blank. do you have any other suggestions? any would be greatly appreciated. thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Ok, the next thing to try is the Dell diagnostics. When you see the blue Dell logo on bootup, hit F12 to get to the utility partition. Then follow these instructions <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

0 Kudos
STFiancee
1 Copper

Hi. I did try the scans and it gave me an error code 0F00:137B. It says the IDE device failed: blank. Then it procedes to say "media or no media is present in optical drive. Test requires media with data (resource cd, installation CD.)" Not sure what that means but i did reboot and the screen is still doing the same. I just want to let you know that I really do appreciate your help on this!

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

You need to insert a data disc to run the test. Did you have one in there?

0 Kudos
STFiancee
1 Copper

Yes, I did insert a disk. I tried the testing again today to make sure I did it the way it said on the steps you attached. Nothing seemed different. When I hit enter to Boot to Utility Partition, it goes to a screen. I did the first test, something to do with memory and everything passed. When that finished, I tabbed down to the next option and it began a scan and popped up with a different error code than the first time. It said "Device Initializatipon Failure, unable toaccess USB." Then it immediately jumped to the Dell Diagnostics Main Menu. I did the Extended Test and checked into the other tests but they were just customized scans. Then the screen stay on the Main Menu. I close the screen to see what else to do and the screen has a blue decorative background with a hourglass pointer that can not be moved. So I shut down the computer and restart and it does the same blank screen. Is there something I should be doing different during those tests?

0 Kudos