Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2013 05:00

Blank Display: Optiplex 9010-Dual ATI graphics cards-BIOS A14(UEFI)

We have Optiplex 9010 (BIOS A14) with two ATI HD graphics cards.

IF 

1) BIOS is set to UEFI mode and ATI Graphics cards has been installed: No display (no signal)

2) BIOS is set to UEFI and NO ATI Graphics cards has been installed (i.e. using internal Intel HD) : displays work ok

3) BIOS is set to legacy and ATI Graphics cards has been installed: displays work ok

ATI-102-C26405(B), P2412H and P2210, DVI

Boot Sequence \Boot list Options:UEFI

Question:

Does anybody know how do we get UEFI mode to work with ATI HD graphics cards? Bugs in BIOS A14?

1.8K Posts

August 8th, 2013 06:00

Hi kukkakukka,

The graphics card should have the UEFI BIOS extensions to initialize/enumerate it to the operating system during the UEFI mode boot sequence. Please check if the AMD cards connected supports this feature. You will need to use the Legacy mode to obtain the display from the cards, if they do not support the UEFI extensions and this is not a BIOS limitation.

Please let me know if you need further information.

7 Posts

August 8th, 2013 08:00

Hi

Thank you for your prompt reply...

Do you happend to know if  ATI radeon (DELL OEM graphics card (OUGA9))  HD7470 (DELL Part number:2C7NH) support UEFI extensions? Should I assume it does not? 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 8th, 2013 12:00

There are no "UEFI extensions" the Bios version and Hardware ID must be in the Windows 8 microsoft certificate storage or it will refuse to load in windows 8.  

Non certified hardware with bios roms will not post if they are not in the windows 8 certificates in the bios for UEFI 2.3.1 and up.  They will however work with CSM legacy mode and GPT partitions under win7 or win8.

Secure Boot, also referred to as Trusted Boot, a new security feature in Windows 8 REQUIRES  the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) to block the loading and operation of any program or driver that has not been signed by an OS-provided key, and thus prevents the loading of the kernel, system files, boot-critical drivers, and even BIOS software.

7 Posts

August 9th, 2013 00:00

To summarize:

1) DELL-Rajath N stated that GPU BIOS needs to be UEFI aware "i.e. have. UEFI extensions" (UEFI GOP?)

2) SpeedStep said that if  hardware has no windows 8 certificate (in UEFI?), it won't post in UEFI  2.3.1. Let's hope Apple does not use UEFI 2.3.1:emotion-5:

I have still not got answer to my question: How to get DELL 9010 to boot with video signal) when UEFI is enabled and not using built-in Intel graphics)... I am starting to conclude that this is not possible... 

548 Posts

August 9th, 2013 02:00

I'm not across the new UEFI secure boot initiative in great technical detail but the problem with secure boot is that everything that is required to boot a computer must be authorized. This not only includes the system BIOS and any other BIOS which may reside on any PCI card but also includes the OS boot loader.

So things like network cards, graphics cards, raid cards, etc must be authorized. I have heard that this authorization is accomplished by signing all the BIOS executables and boot loaders used within the boot process which verifies that they are indeed authorized. The signing authority happens to be Microsoft (which also mandates that non x86 systems must not be able to disable this secure boot feature - so no linux on your arm tablet).

So you have a few possible options.

1. Check with the manufacturer of the card and see if a later BIOS is available and whether this BIOS conforms to secure boot. If so update the graphics cards BIOS and all should be OK.

2. Go into the system bios and disable secure boot checking. Not sure how this is done, or if the OEM has even allowed it, but you should still be able to use UEFI without secure boot on x86 based systems.

But best advice is to stay away from secure boot crippled systems if you like to own your hardware and do with it what you want as this mechanism is more for control and lock-in than security (some even call it restricted boot for this very reason).

Cheers.

PS: Video_Driver_PCWM7_WN_8.982.12-MUP2.3_A00.EXE is available for the Dell AMD Radeon HD7470 (OUGA9) and was released on 10/31/2012 for your Optiplex 9010. Unfortunately in true Dell tradition, the download page does not indicate any information about UEFI or secure boot though it does say that this driver is for Win8...

7 Posts

August 9th, 2013 03:00

skylarking: I do not know where this idea, that I would be using secure boot, is coming from....  I have not stated anywhere that I am using it. So let's be clear here: NO secure boot is enabled. I am simply trying to enable UEFI and boot 9010 with DELL (OEM AMD) graphics cards and this does not work.

1) Ok so I need to contact DELL with this..

2) This has been the case all along here.. Secure Boot is disabled.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

Older Apple hardware allows GPT partitions but Does not support NX and so windows 8 wont work.  Newer Apple hardware with NX support allows windows 8 in CSM (Non Secure Boot) mode.  The plan that people don't realize is to lock down hardware so that Microsoft gets to decide what OS runs and for how long on a computer.  Once the Certificate in bios expires windows will refuse to boot and be Bricked.  Drivers, Bios Extensions, etc will all need a BIOS Certificate to load and run under windows 8.   CLASS 3 UEFI removes the CSM entirely so that machines will ONLY BOOT  64 Bit Windows 8 Period End!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/27/hispalinux_microsoft_antitrust_suit/

"A Spanish open source software users' association has filed an
antitrust complaint against Microsoft with the European Commission,
claiming that the company's implementation of UEFI Secure Boot stifles
competition."

In it, the group alleges that Microsoft has used UEFI Secure Boot, the feature of the Universal Extensible Firmware Interface that requires operating systems to be digitally signed before they will boot, as an "obstruction mechanism" against non-Windows systems, including Linux.

MBR Booting is already gone which Prevents MSDOS FAT and EL TORITO CD Booting aka SYSLINUX  FAT AND FAT32.  All UEFI BIOS ONLY BOOT GPT Partitions.  No more msdos booting or grub booting or syslinux booting or usb flash drives with DOS or SYSLINUX fat32 partitions.

UEFI-based systems, by specification, can only boot from GPT-style disks.
The traditional BIOS can boot from MBR-style disks.  Microsoft's strategy is to take
the U out of UEFI to become CLASS 3 MEFI.  You donna gotta microsoft extortion certificate
you donna gettta boot or load drivers or bios extensions.  Your extortion certificate expires you donna getta boot ever again.

NVIDIA has this explained on their site.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156

Answer ID 3156
  |    Published 10/25/2012 03:12 PM
  |    Updated 10/26/2012 02:00 PM

When installing an after-market graphics card into a
certified Windows 8 PC with Secure Boot enabled, the system may not boot.

Secure boot is enabled by default on certified Windows 8
PCs. When an after-market graphics card not containing UEFI-enabled firmware
(VBIOS) is installed into a motherboard with secure boot enabled in the SBIOS,
the system may not boot. The majority of retail graphics cards manufactured in
2012 do not contain UEFI-enabled firmware.

In order to get the PC to boot with a graphics card that
does not contain a UEFI-enabled firmware the end-user must first disable the
secure boot feature in the system's SBIOS before installing the graphics card.

Note: 
Some system SBIOS's incorporate a feature called compatibility boot. These
systems will detect a non-UEFI-enabled firmware VBIOS and allow the user to
disable secure boot and then proceed with a compatibility boot. If the system
contains a system SBIOS the supports compatibility boot, the user will need to
disable secure boot when asked during boot process

Instructions for manually disabling secure boot:

1) Power down the system

2) Remove the NVIDIA
Add-in card

3) Boot the system using
integrated graphics

4) Enter CMOS settings.
CMOS settings can usually be accessed during boot, typically by pressing one of
F1, F2, F8, F12, or Delete (depends on the system firmware) Alternatively they
can be accessed in Windows 8 as follows: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-access-the-bios-on-a-windows-8-computer/

5) Set Secure Boot to
disabled

6) If there is an option,
set CSM (or compatibility or legacy mode) to enabled.

7) Save the new settings

8) Power down the system

9) Install the NVIDIA
Add-in card

10) The system should now
boot

7 Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

As i mentioned earlier: secure boot IS disabled. So unless BIOS A14 has a bug that keeps Secure boot enabled even if it is disabled, I doubt your crusade against secure boot is the issue here... 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 9th, 2013 10:00

The bios must be set to Legacy CSM mode.  

BIOS is set to legacy and ATI Graphics cards has been installed: displays work ok

Part Number: ATI-102-C26405(B)

Model: Radeon HD6450 1GB GDDR3 

7 Posts

August 12th, 2013 00:00

Above Speedstep stated what we already know about the case... but does anybody know if DELL 9010 with DELL OEM graphics card can be used in UEFI mode? It looks like it cannot unless you remove DELL OEM graphics card or DELL updates the BIOS...

548 Posts

August 12th, 2013 02:00

@kukkakukka, information by omission is no information at all and then to accuse the people who are trying to help that they are on a crusade beggars belief...

Maybe you have hit the nail on the head head when you said "so unless BIOS A14 has a bug that keeps Secure boot enabled even if it is disable".

Guess i'll leave you to solve your problem though.

Cheers.

7 Posts

August 12th, 2013 04:00

skylarking: Please clarify what info I have allegedly omitted. In my opinion, It is not an omission if you, as reader, assume something that is not there in the text, otherwise all written communication would be impossible, as everything would have to be included...

And I have NOT accused anybody of anything, if you interpreted some text as such, I apologize . Your quote is misleading as it is a response to a post that is talking about secure boot, not to my original question, where there is no reference to secure boot. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 12th, 2013 06:00

If you are using LEGACY CSM = NOT Secure Boot Mode.

If you are Not using CSM = Secure boot mode which requires Microsoft Certificate to allow Bios to Load.

Which is what NVIDIA says as well.

When installing an after-market graphics card into a certified Windows 8 PC with UEFI enabled, the system may not boot.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156/~/when-installing-an-after-market-graphics-card-into-a-certified-windows-8-pc

When installing an after-market graphics card into a certified Windows 8 PC with UEFI enabled, the system may not boot.

When an after-market graphics card is installed into a motherboard with UEFI enabled in the system BIOS, or if the system is a certified Windows 8 PC with Secure Boot enabled, the system may not boot.

UEFI is a new system BIOS feature that is provided on most new motherboards. A UEFI system BIOS is required in order for the Windows 8 Secure Boot feature to work. Secure boot is enabled by default on certified Windows 8 PCs.

In order to get the PC to boot with a graphics card that does not contain UEFI firmware, the end-user must first disable the secure boot feature in the system's SBIOS before installing the graphics card.

Note: Some system SBIOS's incorporate a feature called compatibility boot CSM. These systems will detect a non-UEFI-enabled firmware VBIOS and allow the user to disable secure boot and then proceed with a compatibility boot. If the system contains a system SBIOS the supports compatibility boot, the user will need to disable secure boot when asked during boot process

Instructions for manually disabling secure boot:

1) Power down the system

2) Remove the NVIDIA Add-in card

3) Boot the system using integrated graphics

4) Enter CMOS settings. CMOS settings can usually be accessed during boot, typically by pressing one of F1, F2, F8, F12, or Delete (depends on the system firmware) Alternatively they can be accessed in Windows 8 as follows: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-access-the-bios-on-a-windows-8-computer/

5) Set Secure Boot to disabled

6) If there is an option, set CSM (or compatibility or legacy mode) to enabled.

7) Save the new settings

8) Power down the system

9) Install the NVIDIA Add-in card

10) The system should now boot

* Note that not all existing NVIDIA based cards are capable of adding UEFI support. If your card manufacturer is unable to supply you with an update, you will need to operate in compatibility mode

548 Posts

August 13th, 2013 00:00

@kukkakukka, not including the status of secure boot in your original post could be because you think it's not relevant or you are not aware of the setting itself or whether the system supports secure boot. But if i think the secure boot setting is relevant, i can't assume anything about your skills if i am to help you, and as such i must make mention of it... as others did before me...

So put simply, you omitted to specify in your initial post what your UEFI configuration was with respect to secure boot.

And following speedsteps post where you stated "I doubt your crusade against secure boot is the issue here... " the accusation was that we are on a crusade against secure boot...

1.8K Posts

August 13th, 2013 07:00

Hi kukkakukka,

I apologize for the delay and request you to send the system Service Tag along with the contact details via Private Message, so that I can check the graphics card's UEFI compatibility with our Engineering Team.

To send a Private Message, click on my name in Blue and then on Start Conversation.

No Events found!