Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2012 13:00

Blank Screen

Whenever i log in it takes like 20 minutes or more.

when i press the power button it doesn't take me to my log in page anymore. i have to keep pressing F8 or unplugging my monitor (from the back) or pressing the power button on the monitor multiply times. or doing an improper shut down when i have to press the red power button on the power cord.

now i can't leave my computer sitting for a long period of time. the screen will go blank & i have to restart it again.

this has been going on everyday for like 3-4 weeks. what can i do to fix it.

i switched out my keyboard a couple weeks ago, thinking that would fix it. is there something in my computer.

thanks. :)

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

September 16th, 2012 14:00

Very hard to analyze or help without any specifics. At the very least post your model computer and operating system along with an explanation of the problem. See if you can run the Dell Diagnostics to test the hardware and then try a Repair or reinstallation of the operating system if all the hardware including the hard drive checks out OK. Changing the keyboard would not help with this.

5 Posts

September 16th, 2012 14:00

This is the same problem I have --  My thoughts -- it's the monitor -- I have a Dell UltraSharp.  I have been unplugging the monitor, after 20 min to an hour, I would plug in and had a monitor again.  Now, I the monitor comes on and then immediatly dies before I see anything.  I have now disconnected the monitor from my desktop and using my laptop to answer this question.  As my monitor is not under warranty, Dell won't address the issue and I can't find anything about  the problem -- except my work IT people said we have a room full of dead UltraSharps.

I am currently seeking info on how to connect my laptop so I can access my harddrive -- I will also be shopping for my first non-Dell monitor.

Good Luck

September 16th, 2012 18:00

thanks for the replies.

once my screen comes on it says on til i shut down or i leave it sitting for a long period of time. if i'm away & watching tv, i have to keep looking at the screen to make sure it doesn't go blank.

i had to google ultrasharp. i know nothing bout computers. that looks exactly like mine w/ the black & silver stand but all i have is the menu/list thing, the -, + & the power button.

i switched out my keyboard b/c i thought something might've got in it. my niece used to use it to watch videos & was always spilling things. or maybe i was using the wrong thing to clean it w./

i had this monitor since '06 & i had to get a new tower last year. great now how am i supposed to explain needing a new monitor.

4.4K Posts

May 29th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                  

No Events found!