cvhigh
Not applicable

Blue or Orange Screen with Vertical Lines

I have a Dell XPS 8700. I have been having problems with a blue or orange screen with white or dark vertical Lines popping up at different times.  When this comes up you cannot do anything; you have to reboot. All drivers have been updated to my computer.  When it starts, the monitor will flicker (sometimes) and the screen turns into vertical lines (cannot see your desktop).  I have contacted Microsoft and went through a long procedure to see what could be causing this. It is not the Microsoft Operation System 10 that is the problem; they stated it could be in BIOS.  Is anyone else having the same problem? This is annoying.  Does anyone know who to fix this?  There is a youtube video about this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKRsS5R3fkk. I do not know anything about Bit Locker or how it works. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DELL-Jesse L
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Blue or Orange Screen with Vertical Lines

cvhigh,

Try performing the steps below to see if they will resolve this issue.

Enter the BitLocker PIN/password blindly on the orange/blue screen. This should bypass the screen temporarily and allow you to log in to Windows.
Uninstall the security update (KB3172985) and restart when prompted. It will still have the orange/blue screen at this point.
Suspend BitLocker by opening the “BitLocker Drive Encryption” Control Panel applet and clicking “Suspend Protection” and then “Yes” to apply.
Check for updates to automatically find and reinstall the security update.
Reboot and the BitLocker PIN/password screen should appear normally.

If the issue is still present, re-enter the BitLocker PIN/password blindly on the orange/blue screen to boot into Windows.
Suspend BitLocker by opening the “BitLocker Drive Encryption” Control Panel applet and clicking “Suspend Protection” and then “Yes” to apply.
Open an Administrator Command Prompt by clicking Start, typing “CMD” without quotes, right-clicking the top search result and choosing “Run as administrator.”
Then type the following command and click Enter:
bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v
Reboot the computer

0 Kudos