ozwald
2 Bronze

Boot Up Problem With Dell Dimension 4500

Hello,

A few weeks ago I started to notice that, having switched on my computer from the mains socket, when I pressed the start button on the tower the computer seemed to take several minutes to boot-up.

Just to clarify, let me describe the usual sequence & response I got, after switching on my computer from the mains socket: before this event.

After switch on, the CRT monitor would come on and if I hadn't pressed the start button on the tower within several seconds the CRT displayed; "No Signal" but, as soon as I pressed the button, the computer booted-up (green LEDs on the tower etc would illuminate) and after a short while, Windows XP would start up and all would be running soon after. Most times, I wouldn't wait for the monitor to display "No Signal", I would press the start button immediately after I'd switched on the mains power and the computer soon booted up etc.

Today, after switching the mains power on, I pressed the start button on the tower but all that happened was the monitor displayed "No Signal" for a minute or two, then the monitor display shut down to a black screen & the monitor's green "On" LED went yellow but, some five minutes or more, the computer eventually booted up. Note: I only pressed the start button just once after switching on.

Not being a computer tech, could this problem be something to do with the PSU?

Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome by this Senior Citizen ! LOL.

17 Replies
Highlighted
DELL-Vishal Sa
3 Argentium

Re: Boot Up Problem With Dell Dimension 4500

Hi

Your system is working normally. When you first turn ON the Power Switch, the monitor gets the power and would display an amber light to indicate the same. The monitor displays “No Signal” as long as it is getting power from the wall socket alone. The monitor light turns green the moment system tower is turned ON.

It would be a good idea to run the hardware diagnostics in order to check if there is a hardware issue. You may follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Restart the computer
  2. Press <F12> at the Dell Logo Screen
  3. Highlight ‘Boot to Utility Partition’ and press <Enter> at the boot device list
  4. Choose 'Extended Test' option at the ‘Dell Diagnostics’ main menu screen (see image below)

'Extended Test' is a detailed test on all the devices. This test may take upto an hour to finish and may prompt you to answer few questions periodically.
An error message may appear if the diagnostics encounters a faulty hardware component during the test. It may also display and error code with problem description. Would request you to make a note of the same.
You can close the test screen and return to the main menu. Restart the system to exit dell diagnostics

If the hardware diagnostics pass successfully, then the issue might be within the operating system. Do keep me posted with the status.

Thanks & Regards
Vishal S
#iworkfordell

Highlighted
ozwald
2 Bronze

Hi Vishal,

Thank you for your advice and the information provided.

Unfortunately, after selecting "Boot To Utility Partition" and then pressing enter, all I got was this message: "Utility Partition Not Found: Press a Key To Boot Operating System"

Just to add to my original post, the problem doesn't happen if, having used my computer and shut it down, I can restart/boot it up without any delay if it's within a couple of hours of previous use. However, if it's left off for more than about 6 hours, then the problem returns.

Tony

Highlighted
DELL-Vishal Sa
3 Argentium

Hi Tony

Accept my apology for the late reply.

As you have mentioned that the “Utility partition” is not found, it’s evident that the utility partition might have got deleted if the hard drive was formatted in the past. At this point, you may boot the system using the Dell resource CD to run the 32-Bit Dell diagnostics to check if at all there is a hardware error.

Thanks & Regards
Vishal S
#iworkfordell

Highlighted
ozwald
2 Bronze

Hi Vishal,

Last year my Maxtor hard drive failed (a loud clicking sound) and was replaced. After replacing it my computer seems to have been working fine. The present 'fault' only started a few weeks back.

I have 5 Dell disks that were supplied with the computer and one is titled: Drivers And Utilities and states: Dell Dimension Resource CD for Reinstalling Device Drivers and Using Diagnostics, Utilities and System Documentation.

When I inserted this CD (with the computer booted-up in the normal way) it shows a list of all items on my system and, when I scroll down - amongst that list, there is: Sysytem Diagnostics-Dell 32-bit Diagnostics for Dell Resource CD Rev:A1101.

When I click on this it brings up a Read Me file that is 2 pages of gobbledegook (well it is to me) but it looks like a list of data info.

So what do I do with this information and what do i do next?

Thanks,

Tony

Highlighted
DELL-Vishal Sa
3 Argentium

Hi Tony

Thanks for the detailed response. We surely need the same disc (Dell Dimension Resource CD) to run the 32-Bit Dell diagnostics. However, you need to shut down the after inserting the disc in the drive. Please follow these instructions to launch the Diagnostics:

1. Turn ON the system
2. Tap F12 key at the Dell logo screen
3. Highlight CD/DVD drive option and tap enter

You will see 2 options on the next screen. (a) 32-Bit Dell Diagnostics (b) exit.

Please highlight the 32-Bit Dell diagnostics and hit enter. Please note down the error code if you get any. I am also sending you a private message; please reply with the required details so that I can assist you better.

Thanks & Regards
Vishal S
#iworkfordell

Highlighted
ozwald
2 Bronze

Vishal, Thanks for your reply & I confirm that I have also received your PM & I will reply to that later.

In the meantime, I was able to carry out your instructions: 1, 2 & 3 but I was not able to see the next 2 options as I only got a message (see pic 4) which would not let me go any further.

Just to confirm that I was following your steps: 1, 2 & 3 I have provided photos I took of the screens as that came up (see below):

NB: Sorry for the quality of pics but these were taken on my digital camera.

First Screen With Menu:

Second Screen With My Selection:

3rd Screen Showing Option I Chose:

4th Screen With Message:

Tony

Highlighted
ozwald
2 Bronze

Vishal,

I have sent you a reply to your request for my details.

Tony

Highlighted
ozwald
2 Bronze

Anyone there ?

Highlighted
jackshack
5 Osmium

Ozwald, it appears from the screen photos you have provided that you are trying to boot from a Windows 98 installation CD.  What you needed to do was boot from the Dell Resource CD.  If you boot from that disk you should be guided to a diagnostics menu similar to the screen photo that was provided by the Dell representative.  When you reach the diagnostics menu you may need to run a quick test first.  After that test has completed, you should have the option to customize a test; select the tests for the hard disk drive.

The disk you were using is checking for an acceptable volume for the installation of Windows 98, and is reporting that the first hard drive, C:, does not have a FAT partition.  What operating system are you using on the computer?  If you are using Windows XP, the partition is most likely an NTFS partition and that is why the Win 98 installation disk is complaining.

Dell Forum member since 2005