Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2016 19:00

Boot menu help request ASAP please

I have a Dell Studio XPS desktop. I was going to reinstall Windows 10 from a USB stick and I accidentally chose the wrong boot option in the boot menu. The machine just cycles on and off, on and off, etc., searching for something to load. I tried inserting the USB stick into each available USB port and restarting. Nothing changed. How can I get back into the boot menu and start all over again?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 10:00

Have you tried pressing F12 at boot time, to bring up the boot menu?

7 Posts

October 23rd, 2016 13:00

Thank you for answering! Yes, I have tried multiple times. I have tried F12, F2, F8, delete, escape, and some others, with no results. Any thoughts?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 15:00

Do you get the Dell logo at bootup? The storage device should not be overriding the BIOS.

7 Posts

October 23rd, 2016 17:00

No, I did not get the Dell logo at bootup. Nothing came on the screen. The computer starts to turn on, no screen appears, and then shuts off again within 5-10 seconds. The computer continually cycles on and off.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 23rd, 2016 18:00

Try this:

1. Power off and unplug power cord from rear of PC
  2. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  3. Reconnect power cord to rear of PC
  4. See if it boots now

7 Posts

October 23rd, 2016 19:00

Thanks for responding! That was a good idea. I tried it 5 times, but it did not boot up. Nothing changed. The only difference is that now it doesn't cycle on and off. The PC runs for about a minute and then shuts down. Nothing appears on the black screen at all. Any other ideas?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 24th, 2016 11:00

Back up...

Exactly which Studio XPS model is this?

What color is the power button when it won't boot, and is it steady or blinking?

Are you comfortable working inside a PC?

7 Posts

October 24th, 2016 14:00

It's a 2011 Dell Studio XPS 7100. The power button is just a black plastic button without a light.

I just tried to reset the CMOS settings by moving the CMOS jumper on the motherboard. It made no difference. I started it up and it still has a black screen. I hear the hard drive spinning and then stopping, over and over again. What's your thoughts?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 24th, 2016 15:00

Glad you got it sorted. But 2 points:

Dell has not tested the Studio XPS 7100 for compatibility with Win 10. That doesn't mean it won't work, but you may have to hunt for drivers because Dell won't provide any,  and Win 10 may not have everything you need.

For the record, the power button, should be solid white when PC is on and working, but solid or blinking amber when there are problems.

7 Posts

October 24th, 2016 15:00

IT WORKS!!!!!!!

I went back to the PC and I noticed that it wasn't cycling anymore. It was just running, but nothing was on the screen. I inserted the Windows 10 ISO repair disc and restarted. The Windows logo appeared as if i were going to reinstall Windows, which I did not want to do at this time. I ejected the disc and words appeared on the screen basically saying to press F1 to reset the CMOS to default settings, which I did. Windows then started normally and everything appears fine. I don't want to restart or shut down the computer until tomorrow, when I have a full day in front of me, if any problems arise.

Thanks for your efforts!

7 Posts

October 24th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for the info. I already had Windows 10 up and running for quite a while with no issues. I just wanted to reinstall it to clean everything up.

No Events found!