Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2014 08:00

Boot problem Inspiron One 2320

I recently had a hard drive crash on my 2320 which had Windows 7.  I purchased a new WD10EZEX that came preloaded with Windows 8.  I installed it and the bootup was pretty much seamless.  I left for a little bit and came back and Windows 8 was up and running.  Once the initial Windows update was complete, a reboot was in order.  Once I performed the reboot, the Dell splash screen popped up, and then I received the following error:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

So, I hit CTL-ALT-DEL and hit F12 (Boot Options).  That brought up the following options:

• CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive: MATSHITA DVD+/-
  • UEFI: WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0
  • Windows Boot Manager
  • Diagnostics
  • BIOS Setup

I selected the UEFI option and the machine booted normally.

Is there a way for me to boot normally without pressing F12 and selecting the UEFI option each time?

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 12th, 2014 08:00

Windows 8 must be reinstalled on the new hard drive, not preinstalled. The license for windows 8 belongs to the first computer it was installed on and that original computer had a diff boot process. Buy Windows 8.1 retail installation disk which is the full version with an unused license key and custom install it on the new drive. Or reinstall windows 7 using your Dell reinstallation disk.  

August 14th, 2014 20:00

Thanks for the information.  I wound up having to reinstall Windows 7 from my backup discs on the new hard drive.  The version of Windows 8 that came preloaded on the drive was expecting a UEFI BIOS.  My machine does not have a UEFI BIOS.

No Events found!