Madjay_2016
1 Copper

Bootable recovery and restore media

My Dell Inspiron 660 desktop PC crashed a while ago and I have since downloaded the recovery and restore media from Dell's website. The problem I have though is that the media I have downloaded is not bootable so I can't use it to setup a bootable USB or DVD. Given that my desktop crashed, I had to download the media via my HP laptop but if one follows the directions on Dell's website about how to convert the recovery files to bootable media, it doesn't really help. The assumption they are making is that one is downloading the bootable media from a Dell machine but I obviously can't do that since it is the Dell machine that has crashed and is in need or repairs. So the question is; how do I get the non-bootable media I have downloaded to be bootable so that I can repair my PC? It looks like the recovery partition on the hard drive has failed since running start-up repair does not work or rather does not fix anything and the PC still can't get into Windows. Can someone please help?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
8 Xenon

RE: Bootable recovery and restore media

The download should be an ISO file - one easy way to write it to a flash drive or DVD is to use a free utility called Rufus:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

0 Kudos
Madjay_2016
1 Copper

The downloaded file is not actually an Iso file, I had hoped it would be and that it would be bootable as well. It is a compressed/zip file, the files are then extracted into a folder. I then downloaded Winiso and was able to convert the extracted files into one iso file but still the iso file is not bootable, there's then no way to make it bootable with any of the iso applications as boot file is required...

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

There have never been bootable windows 7 DELL OEM ISO files or Recovery files from Dell.  Only Recovery media made by Dell backup and recovery.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Madjay_2016
1 Copper

Yes but the instructions given on Dell's website talk about converting and copying the downloaded recovery and restore media to a USB stick or DVD... the method describes how to make the downloaded media bootable so that you end up with a bootable USB or DVD. The problem is that it is assumed that I am downloading the media on a Dell machine and that I have the Dell Back and Recovery Application installed which then presumably will help make the downloaded media bootable...

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

There is no such site for windows 7

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN151701

Never has been

EOL windows 7 never will be

Recovery Media was either Dell Datasafe or Dell Backup and Recovery.

No such thing as Recovery ISO files.

No such thing as ISO files of any kind that have or had microsoft OS on them.

here

Philip_Yip
6 Indium

You can download a Windows 10 RS1 .iso from Microsoft and clean install:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
CTG_8273
2 Iron

Call Dell and Demand they send you a Windows 7 DVD. How old is the PC? If it s under warranty there should be no trouble. I had to contact the corp office to get them to send the DVD. They finally did. My laptop is only 2 years old and I tried Windows 10 and it was slow. Also there were some driver issues. All this about Dell no longer having the driver disk and OS disk is bad. They have OS recovery but not sure about the drivers. My laptop that is 2 years old. They told me there was no drivers or software DVD for my model I kelp on and on and they finally sent it. So there may be the disk for your model it just takes an act of congress to get it.

0 Kudos
Madjay_2016
1 Copper

Thanks for the response. I bought the PC in 2013 or 2014, I don't quite remember... It's no longer under warranty. The thing though is that I have downloaded the recovery media I spoke off but I can't use it to restore my PC. When I try and opt for a clean installation of windows I get a message saying that option isn't available for my PC, I guess this is because of the warranty lapsing but I think it's unfair to expect that I must now buy Windows 7 or 10 for that matter from MS because Dell does not want to provide me with a copy of the OS which came pre-installed on the PC. The recovery partition is corrupt/hard drive has failed, this has been confirmed with the Dell diagnostic tool so I definitely need to start afresh... When I try to get an image file of the OS from MS, I get a message indicating that I should get in touch with the OEM as the OS details (product key) supplied indicates that the OS was pre-installed so it's like what am I expected to do? Anyway, I will take your advice and hope they will give me a copy of Windows 7 for my PC...

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

If there is no COA Sticker(With a Key)  then its Windows 8 or 8.1.  If there is a COA sticker then its windows 7.  You can buy windows 8 upgrade DVD's that will install on your OEM Dell just fine and wont ask for a key.  If its an 8.1 machine then you can use an OEM Copy of windows 8 and again it wont ask for a key. 

You should post a private message to CHRISM with your service tag and see if you cant get the OS.

here