Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 03-13-2015 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Bootmgr missing

I have a Optiplex 745 that when I turn it on, it says that the Bootmgr is missing and to press Ctrl, Alt, Delete to restart. I restart and it still says the same thing. My hard drive is first in the boot order priority. I ran a BIOS diagnostic and it passed. I have a Windows 7 install disk and it seems to work but halfway through the install I got a blue screen (IRQL not less or equal). How can I get this "bootmgr" back?

Replies (4)
10 Diamond

The drive and the burned copy of windows 7 are physically bad.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

10 Diamond

If you already tried/failed to re-install Windows, these are probably not going to work, but have a read and try the options offered, especially if the hard drive crashed, as Speedstep suggested.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I tried installing Windows again and it finished, but then I got two more blue screens. The first one was "bad pool caller" and the second was "page fault in nonpaged area".

I ran some bootrec commands and although they say they were successful, it still says bootmgr is missing.

I ran a startup repair and it says that Windows cannot automatically repair. It says the same thing after rebooting.

10 Diamond

Did you completely wipe the hard drive before reinstalling? Could you have a boot sector virus?

If you have it, boot from Dell Resources CD and run the extended hard drive tests to see if your drive is failing. Or read this <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> about creating your own bootable CD with the hard drive tests on it.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor