Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

March 13th, 2015 10:00

Bootmgr missing

I have a Optiplex 745 that when I turn it on, it says that the Bootmgr is missing and to press Ctrl, Alt, Delete to restart. I restart and it still says the same thing. My hard drive is first in the boot order priority. I ran a BIOS diagnostic and it passed. I have a Windows 7 install disk and it seems to work but halfway through the install I got a blue screen (IRQL not less or equal). How can I get this "bootmgr" back?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 13th, 2015 11:00

The drive and the burned copy of windows 7 are physically bad.

16 Posts

March 13th, 2015 14:00

I tried installing Windows again and it finished, but then I got two more blue screens. The first one was "bad pool caller" and the second was "page fault in nonpaged area".

I ran some bootrec commands and although they say they were successful, it still says bootmgr is missing.

I ran a startup repair and it says that Windows cannot automatically repair. It says the same thing after rebooting.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 13th, 2015 14:00

If you already tried/failed to re-install Windows, these are probably not going to work, but have a read and try the options offered, especially if the hard drive crashed, as Speedstep suggested.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 13th, 2015 16:00

Did you completely wipe the hard drive before reinstalling? Could you have a boot sector virus?

If you have it, boot from Dell Resources CD and run the extended hard drive tests to see if your drive is failing. Or read this  about creating your own bootable CD with the hard drive tests on it.

No Events found!