Highlighted
2 Bronze

Brand New XPS 8500 Fail to Boot

Hi, I bought a new Dell XPS 8500 and received it last night.  Worked great out of the box.  I woke up today and it won't turn on, amber blinking light on the power button, and it makes a sound like a drive beginning to spin and then failing.  I have owned this computer for less than 24 hours, and the second time I pressed the power button it won't turn on.  Any suggestions.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
4 Germanium

Re: Brand New XPS 8500 Fail to Boot

Hi Ehre,

In order to assist you in a better way, please provide me the following information: 

1. Did you make any hardware or software changes to the computer? 
  2. Do you hear any beep codes from computer?

You may drain out the residual power of computer by following the steps below:

1. Power off the system from the power button or the wall jack. 
  2. Disconnect the power cable from the wall jack and remove all the cables connected to the back of system tower including the power cable.  
  3. Press and hold the power button pressed for 30 seconds.  
  4. Connect the power cable, keyboard and monitor cable only.  
  5. Power on the system.

Please share the findings. 

Thanks and regards,
DELL-Chinmay S
#IWork4Dell 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Chinmay S,

I installed 2 games and that is all.  There are no beep codes, only the staccato spinning sound as i described.  I drained the power as directed.  Upon plugging the computer back in it resumes a blinking orange light even without pushing the power button.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Germanium

Hi Ehre,

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. 

Thanks and regards,
DELL-Chinmay S
#IWork4Dell 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Brand New XPS 8500 Fail to Boot

I am having the same problem.  Green light @ PSU, Amber on Mobo.  No power on with switch.  This seems to be happening quite a bit.  Any updates on a fix for this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Brand New XPS 8500 Fail to Boot

Unfortunately on mine it was a dead motherboard, literally days after I bought it, but Dell replaced it for free under warranty.  I hope you have the same fortune.

0 Kudos