Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 24th, 2014 09:00

Brand New XPS 8700's with Win7 Pro. No COA or Win7 key.

I just purchased three new Dell XPS 8700's directly from Dell with Win 7 Pro.  The systems arrived without the normal Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) attached in the normal spot on the top rear next to the service tag sticker.  I've purchased a number of XPS 8700's over the last 6 months and up till this shipment they all included the Win 7 Pro COA with license key.

In looking at the units closely I did see that there is a Windows 8 sticker on the bottom of the systems.  Has something changed or did Dell make a mistake on these units?  They boot to Windows 7, but they will be re-imaged prior to being placed in production and without a proper COA I won't have the Windows 7 key to enter for activation.

Can someone from Dell provide guidance?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 24th, 2014 09:00

The Windows 8 PRO sticker means they have been shipped with Windows 8 key in bios and no other COA.

If you do not have the windows 7 install media I would suggest you get that right away.

The OEM Dell Windows 7 PRO 64 bit will install without asking for a key and will be activated.

I do not have all the Win8 details. DELL-Royan S is the operating system liaison and he will. Please click on his username and click "Start  Conversation".

The key is in the bios.  HOWEVER the OEM System builder media works the old way and comes with a traditional COA Sticker that has written all over it that

Windows 8 keys are encrypted stored in the Bios installed at the factory.  There are no more COA Stickers due to piracy.

Windows 8 now comes with a Genuine Microsoft Label there are NO MORE Certificate of Authenticity (COA) Labels.

See the following examples of labels to look for.

Color-Shifting Ink
The color shift on the label is designed to change from one color to another when viewed from different angles,

making it easy to determine if it is genuine.

Windows 8: magenta to green

Windows 8 Pro: blue to purple

Windows RT: turquoise to purple

Genuine Microsoft Labels
Genuine Microsoft Labels

Belarc Advisor does read the key.  If you update to PRO and again with MCE the "key changes"

www.belarc.com/free_download.html

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 07:00

They are not Acting.  Microsoft has pulled the plug on windows 7 as of OCT 31, 2014.

Windows 7 is end of sales End of life.

5 Posts

5 Posts

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 08:00

:emotion-1:

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 08:00

They did not backpedal for retail sales. Nor for Windows 7 Starter, Home, Ultimate.

Only Windows 7 Pro.  The systems with PRO are using Downgrade Rights and in that mode Dell is not authorized to provide Windows 7 Reinstall Media.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 10:00

The Pro Media is $200 vs home version $100.

That includes windows 8, 8.1 and probably 10.  Retail Sales of All versions of windows 7 though are over.

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 11:00

:emotion-1:Ok, thanks.

No Events found!