Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

September 23rd, 2014 23:00

Brand new 8700 & U2414H not working.

After speaking with "support" for over an hour tonight, I'm still no closer to getting anything to work.

Let me start this by saying, I'm fairly proficient when it comes to computers. Everything is plugged in, it's been double checked and it's all in the right spot.

List of problems:

-The computer turns on, but the mouse and keyboard won't work. Even though the light on top of the mouse is lit up (tried them on my other computer and work fine)

-The monitor has message "No DisplayPort Cable Found", which I see is a huge issue, but I tried all "solutions" with no luck.

The person I spoke with said it may be my motherboard, and tech could be sent to my house in 3-5 business days. I opened the computer and monitor a few hours ago. Having someone fix a brand new computer is a little off-putting.

I realize the motherboard may work fine, but I literally have no clue what to do.

any help would be appreciated. (Even though there's not much to go on)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 24th, 2014 12:00

You opened the monitor..???

Power the PC off and unplug everything from it, including the power cable. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Now connect mouse and keyboard to rear USB ports.

I presume you have an add-in (ATI or NVidia) video card so make sure you're connecting the monitor to the correct output port.

Monitor connection

Now connect the power cable and see if it boots and works properly.

11 Posts

September 24th, 2014 13:00

Hi, thanks for the reply,

By opening, I mean that I literally took them out the their boxes.

Not physically opened the hardware.

As it turns out, the computer itself is fine (regardless of what support told me). The problem is yet again the u2414h monitor.

Not sure why a Dell monitor would have such issues with a Dell computer,

but I plan on taking it back. Too bad, I never even got to see it on.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 24th, 2014 17:00

The factory default setting for this monitor is DisplayPort. If you're using an HDMI cable you need to change that setting by pressing the Menu button.

Read starting on page 33 here to locate the Menu button and navigate the OSD (on-screen display) to change it to HDMI, if that's what you're using.

When all else fails, read the instructions...

(Link fixed)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 24th, 2014 17:00

Can I assume you're connecting the monitor to the right video output on the PC? What cable are you using to connect it to the monitor?

Is there a Setup or Menu button option on the monitor to select what port it's using? Can you change that setting from DP to whatever input port you're using on the monitor, if you're not using DP?

No Events found!