Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2015 13:00

Brand new computer not working

I just opened my new dell inspiron 3655. I was in the process of getting it set up and I received an error  on a blue screen that said the computer has run into a problem and needs to restart. System_service_ ks.sys.  I called support right away and they said it's a software problem and that I need to pay a one time fee of $129.00 for them to help me. I explained that I just opened the box and connected it and turned it on. They said I do not have a software warranty and that I need to pay them. Does anybody have an idea what is wrong with my computer?? I bought it on dell.com.     should I just return it??  Thank you in advance for your suggestions

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 27th, 2015 08:00

You could try to fix it yourself, but you shouldn't have to. You could try a full restore to factory defaults to see if you have problems. Some blue screens are one-time occurrences, so it is possible you won't have any more problems. Return it if you aren't happy ... these things can happen.

2 Posts

December 27th, 2015 10:00

I did a restore to factory settings, same problem. You know when I called support yesterday I asked to talk to the techs supervisor and he never said anything about free software support. ....and I told him multiple times that I just opened the box and turned the computer on. His response was that the only way they can help me is if I purchase the one time support package........it's very frustrating dealing with dell's customer support!!! What number or who do I call about an exchange....I found info on how to do a return but not an exchange.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 27th, 2015 10:00

If this system is within first 30 days of invoice date (not delivery date) you're supposed to have free software support.  Beyond that period, they charge for software support.

So if Theflash's suggestion to do a Windows Restore doesn't help and you're still within 21 days of the invoice date, you can ask for an exchange.

I pinged my Dell contacts about this thread, so -hopefully- somebody will help get your problem fixed.

(Note: my comments apply to systems bought directly from Dell in USA, and may not apply to systems bought outside the USA.)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 27th, 2015 11:00

I don't think they really do an "exchange" ... it's called return and reorder, which should be pretty self explanatory.

No Events found!