Highlighted
exsnapper
1 Nickel

Broadcom Netlink Giga problems with Photoshop (Desktop Studio XPS 8100 Win7 x64)

Since installing Photoshop CS3 a pre-requisit prior to upgrading to CS5 Upgrade. Unable to connect to network. Adaptor can be re-set either by disconnect-reconnect in device manager.... OR by uninstalling CS3, at which point the NiC works properly again.

A check on the NICs properties, it reports as working. I have noticed that the IRQ setting shows as -2, but no conflicts, not something I have seen before.

I have reinstalled the Driver from Dell and from Broadcom (both same version and rev no.) No difference. The Broadcom suite also reports no issues.

Adobe not interested in this problem.

Its all a BIG problem as 90% of my photos are on a server else where and I need reliable access to them.

Any ideas people?

Now Retired Ex-professional photographer. I re-trained as a Desktop Support manager with a user group of 4000+, until we were shutdown and outsourced (common story) Sitting at home enjoying(?) life. Back to first love, Photograpy, but all digital now! 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Broadcom Netlink Giga problems with Photoshop (Desktop Studio XPS 8100 Win7 x64)

I know nothing about Photoshop, but it sounds like it's trying to use a port that is not open or available.  Remember your basics, if everything else works but one application does not work properly, it's not the PC it's that application.  

Check the firewall as it may also be blocking the program.  

I remember the old joke saying when I was working as a programmer "My program won't run, there must be something wrong with your computer" (grin).

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
exsnapper
1 Nickel

Re: Broadcom Netlink Giga problems with Photoshop (Desktop Studio XPS 8100 Win7 x64)

I changed the firewall to allow Adobe PS CS3 through and it worked for a few days, then the trouble came back.

Anymore suggestions?

Now Retired Ex-professional photographer. I re-trained as a Desktop Support manager with a user group of 4000+, until we were shutdown and outsourced (common story) Sitting at home enjoying(?) life. Back to first love, Photograpy, but all digital now! 

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

it sounds like either Adobe is changing ports or the firewall has disabled the port again.  There is a networking section on fhe forum, maybe one of the network gurus has an answer.  But it's not a hardware problem.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
exsnapper
1 Nickel

Most derfinately a software problem. I did a clean build of  OS which was fine and working OK, then I only installed CS3, then at that point the NIC stopped again.

I allowed CS3 through the firewall and everything was working OK again. I dont know if its Win7 x64, frirewall, or adobe that is the problem.

I checked my old XP x32 machine and the firewall is set to 'default settings' and is fine!

Not had any response from Adobe or their Forum guys so far.

Loosing faith. 

0 Kudos