Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2009 04:00

Broken Headphone Jack !!

Hi, my daughter has broken the headphone socket on my Dell Dimension E520. Basically half the headphone plug has broken off, and is stuck in the socket. Obviously my speakers are not working now. I'm not fussed about using the headphones, so the question is, can I turnoff the headphone socket somehow, so that the speakers will start working ? Any help greatly appreciated !!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 25th, 2009 10:00

You can't "turn off" the headphone jack.  It's wired into the system via the Dell front panel connector to the motherboard (and that is a Proprietary and undocumented connector). 

What you need to do is open the PC, and access the jack from inside the PC and try to push out the part that is still in the jack.  If your lucky that will get the speakers working again.  There is a copy of the Dell users manual loaded on your PC and it details how to access the front panel assembly.  If you can't find the manual  THIS 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

is the on-line version. (I have an E510 which is the same case and front panel assembly).

If that doesn't work, you will have to contact Dell Spare Parts and buy a new front panel headphone jack assembly.

No Events found!