plokafire
1 Nickel

Building A System WITH Dell Dimension 9200 Motherboard

Hello, I've got a tricky one... I have a Dell Dimension 9200 Motherboard (as mentioned already) and I need to install it into a new ATX case I'm getting. This is going to be a new system for my dad. I know Dell motherboards are proprietary so this is going to be a bit difficult but I'm up for it. emoticon.Indifferent.title emoticon.Wink.title

Firstly, I am getting a new CPU heatsink + fan for my CPU (which is compatible, I've checked). Already have my eyes set on one, but I know I might have to switch to a more suitable one. The stock Intel heatsink + fan does not mount properly onto the Dell motherboard, so I will need a Dell-specific retention bracket? I'm guessing a new CPU heatsink/fan would be no different than the stock Intel one in terms of required mounting?

Moving on, what will I need to do to have all the necessary pin connectors work? (CPU_FAN, FRONT PANEL, USB)

Anything else I need to do? Power supply should connect fine to POWER on motherboard.

I'm planning to buy AYWUN A1-977B Black mid tower ATX case with A1-2000 (500W Max Power PSU)

Modding required? What parts will I need to buy? All help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
17 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Building A System WITH Dell Dimension 9200 Motherboard

Hello, I've got a tricky one... I have a Dell Dimension 9200 Motherboard (as mentioned already) and I need to install it into a new ATX case I'm getting. This is going to be a new system for my dad. I know Dell motherboards are proprietary so this is going to be a bit difficult but I'm up for it. emoticon.Indifferent.title emoticon.Wink.title

Firstly, I am getting a new CPU heatsink + fan for my CPU (which is compatible, I've checked). Already have my eyes set on one, but I know I might have to switch to a more suitable one. The stock Intel heatsink + fan does not mount properly onto the Dell motherboard, so I will need a Dell-specific retention bracket? I'm guessing a new CPU heatsink/fan would be no different than the stock Intel one in terms of required mounting?

Moving on, what will I need to do to have all the necessary pin connectors work? (CPU_FAN, FRONT PANEL, USB)

Anything else I need to do? Power supply should connect fine to POWER on motherboard.

I'm planning to buy AYWUN A1-977B Black mid tower ATX case with A1-2000 (500W Max Power PSU)
Modding required? What parts will I need to buy? All help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

plokafire

How to you intend to mount a Dell Dimension 9200 BTX motherboard into a standard ATX case, these are two completely different form factors.

For the Dimension 9200 BTX motherboard you need a Dell BTX case.

Also, Dell has never published the pinouts of the 9200 proprietary front panel connectors.

Bev.

Edited for content.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Rhenium

The 9200 mainboard is not worth working with unless you're using it with a Dell chassis.

I took on the project of figuring out the proprietary front panel pin assignments for the Dimension 2350 chassis, and converted the wiring to work with a standard mainboard. It involved about $80 worth of tools, including a special Molex crimping tool from Digikey (for the electrical connections), another crimping tool (for the strain reliefs), fine wire strippers, and a continuity tester. And, in the end the front audio cable was too short for most mainboards.

0 Kudos
plokafire
1 Nickel

I thought I had an ATX motherboard, let me check... I'm not sure if it is a Dell Dimension 9200 Motherboard, only know that it looks identical and I definitely did not get this motherboard from a Dell computer anyway,

All I have is the motherboard AA code and I looked it up, seems to be the Dell Dimension 9200 one. I was pretty confident it was ATX, but I'll check.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
speedstep
6 Thallium

An AA Code would be an INTEL Desktop board.  Look for the DPN

Dimension 9200/XPS 410 is a DELL 0CT017  board.

Dell XPS 410 Dimension 9200 Front I/O Panel Audio Cable WJ149
Dell XPS 410 Dimension 9200 Front I/O Panel Ribbon Cable 0FK201 FK201
Dell XPS 410 Dimension 9200 Front I/O USB Audio Panel 0HH180 HH180     Alt MW117

Dell Dimension 9200C XPS 210  would be Dell WG860

DELL WJ149 AUDIO CABLE to FRONT PANEL DIMENSION 9200 E521 E520 CN-0WJ149

Dell Dimension 9200c and XPS 210 I/O Control Panel with X9259 and MK154 Cables, USB, Audio, Firewire, Dell HH189.

• Dell HH189 - I/O Control Panel with Metal Mounting Bracket
  • Dell X9259 - LED Cable Assembly
  • Dell MK154 - Internal USB 2.0 I/O Data Cable Assembly
Dell Dimension 9200 XPS 420 PCI Tank Cooling Fan w/ Shroud, JY856 Dell Dimension 9200 XPS 420 PCI Tank Cooling Fan w/ Shroud, JY856
Dell Chassis Cooling Fan with PCI Tank Shroud Assembly for Dimension 9200 and XPS 420 Systems, Dell JY856.
Dell U9607 Heatsink Dimension 9200 Precision 380 390 Dell U9607 Heatsink Dimension 9200 Precision 380 390
Dell Heatsink Assembly with Heatsink DP/N W5685, Shroud DP/N N8055, and 2 Mounting Screws for Dimension 9200, Precision 380 and 390 Systems, Dell U9607.

Dell Dimension 9200c XPS 210 I/O Panel, USB Audio, Dell HH189  Dell Dimension 9200c XPS 210 I/O Panel, USB Audio, Dell HH189

Dell™ Dimension9200 - Documentation

system board

screws (10)

9200 Intel P965 Express Intel Pentium 4 with HT/Pentium D/Core2 Duo/Core2 Quad DDR2 SDRAM Four DDR2 SDRAM sockets 4096 MB 667- and 800-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM PCI Express (x16) Sigmatel STAC9227 PCI, PCI Express (x1, x16), SATA 46.1 cm 18.8 cm 45.4 cm 12.7 kg (28 lb)
9200C Intel G965 Express Intel Celeron D/Pentium 4 with HT/Pentium D/Core2 Duo DDR2 SDRAM Four DDR2 SDRAM sockets 4096 MB 533-, 667-, and 800-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM PCI Express (x16) Sigmatel STAC9227 PCI, PCI Express (x1, x16), SATA 31.8 cm 9.4 cm 36.8 cm 6.89 kg (15.2 lb)

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
muto
3 Zinc

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Just like the Car Parts from a Chop Shop I agree that assembling a unit from the ground up would be more expensive than buying The Whole system.

Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz - 2048MB - 320GB - DVD+/-RW - WiFi
Item image
2GB RAM, 48x Combo RW-DVD, 160GB HD, MS OFFICE, ADOBE +

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

plokafire
1 Nickel

What the...?

I replied to this thread three days ago yet I cannot see my post. I am so confused. OK, I'll rewrite everything.

I've decided to use a Dell case. Will I have much trouble building a Dell computer from scratch?

I will acquire a GX280/ GX520/ GX560 case. Will they work? More specifically the GX280 as long as it's full tower size?

Thanks

I'm going to be able to get most of the extra components I need like heatsink, fan, power supply, etc.

Any help? Please reply quickly. This is urgent.

0 Kudos
plokafire
1 Nickel

Oh, I forgot to mention that it is indeed a Dell Dimension 9200 BTX motherboard so I will be using a Dell chassis.

"How to you intend to mount a Dell Dimension 9200 BTX motherboard into a standard ATX case, these are two completely different form factors."

-shesagordie

"The 9200 mainboard is not worth working with unless you're using it with a Dell chassis." -rdunnill

Also, thanks for telling how difficult my original plan would be, rdunnill & muto.

SpeedStep, thanks for you help, it is indeed OCT017 so it is a Dimension 9200.

So I want to know what to do once I get a case, power supply, heatsink. Of course, I know how to build a computer but how different is building a Dell?

A GX280 case /GX560 case /GX520 case will work as long as it's full size? What size do Dell call that?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
plokafire
1 Nickel

Umm... this is not answered. I really require the help and I would appreciate if someone could help.

I have said thanks many times only because I do that in real life too. Seriously, my problem is not solved. And I would like to know how to build this Dell computer from scratch and I need assistance. I have no idea what to do, though I have enough basic knowledge to know how to build an "ordinary" non-Dell system. Is it possible?

rdunnill said "The 9200 mainboard is not worth working with unless you're using it with a Dell chassis."

Well, I'm going to be able to have a Dell chassis and would know where to start with my project... I can acquire a PSU, heatsink, fans, etc. But any advice? what case to get? GX620 or any old Dell BTX case will do? I guess guessing the front panel pins would be hard work but I guess I can be fine with having to guess. haha, guess there was no pun intended

please don't just read, but reply if you can help in anyway at all

0 Kudos