Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2008 19:00

CAB-200 Stopped Working

The CAB-200 media card reader on my XPS-420 has worked fine ever since I got it ... until today that is!

Now it has stopped and the device manager says there is a code-10 and it can't start.

Tried all the usual tricks of uninstall/reinstall drivers including the R166859 version.

Only thing I did was last night transfer some images from my phone to the PC via bluetooth. It is the first time I did this. It seems a strange co-incidence ...

Anyone know how to fix this ? I've seen a few notes with DELL-Chris_M sending new 'xrev' firmware ... is this the trick ??

Thanks in advance,

Charles.

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 19:00

okay ... super annoyingly wierd ...

i just:

- deleted the phone i added last night in the bluetooth devices

- uninstalled the CAB-200 again

- shut-down

- held power for 10 seconds (somewhere on these forums i read it helps)

- restarted

and low and behold the devices installed again and I have my card reader working again ...

i'll try the bluetooth again to see if it stops once I've downloaded my photos from my CF card ...

Message Edited by cndawes on 07-22-2008 10:40 PM

10 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 23:00

Oh, CD, you can be assured that CAB card reader will come and go like a stray cat.

Now, for the Dell people out there...

I know there are thread as long as the Great Wall out there about this problem, but it is REALLY ANNOYING!!!!

I figured I could deal with the fact that the card reader in my 2407-WFP Monitor doesn't accept an SDHC card because I got an XPS420 back in April.   But surprise!!  The TEAC card reader doesn't work!!  Big shock, I know.

I have tried everything.

- I have reinstalled drivers, firmware about 75693754923 times. 

- I have restarted the machine an equal amount of times.

- I have actually left the side panel of the machine off so I could "easily" disconnect the card reader cable and reconnect whenever I wanted to use it.  However, now that doesn't work either.  Soon as I stick a SD or CF card in the reader, it runs away and its no longer there.  Poof!  A magician would love it.  (I am not a magician...I hate it!)

Come on guys, this is truly, truly pathetic.   There are about million different card readers out there- and that's just the Belkin ones- they all work.  You can't get a $25 item that works?  Or find the right software/fimrware to make it work?

I really don't want to get a stand alone reader... I already paid for this thing, convenietly located in the box without a fistful of cables floating around my desk.

Someone needs to get on the phone to TEAC...tell them to get on the stick and fix this thing or send out everyone who has one of these things some sort of replacement...even if its a stand alone one...until they fix this stupid thing!

12 Posts

July 30th, 2008 21:00

maybe it's related, or maybe not, but I have problems in Linux of unpredictable nature with this card reader when RAID is turned ON/auto (in BIOS).

The problem is that if RAID is turned on, then harddisk devices keep changing their locations (drive-letter analog in Windows), and it's not just one time, but it does this shuffling every second boot or so (unpredictable like nuclear fussion).

The cause for that is that RAID is competing with this USB 19-in-1 card reader: they get their locations/driver-letters assigned whoever gets a chance first.

If I turn RAID off, then locations are fixed (harddisks get first and only then USBs) and Linux is happy, but then Vista refuses to boot at all! even rescue CD does not help (it does not find any problem to be fixed, how ironic), so I have to live with RAID on for this moment.

Now it seems that I managed to spoon-feed CAB-200 drivers to my Vista (I see CAB-200 hangin in USB section), and the card drives appear as using Microsoft driver (labelled with DELL) with the following:

Media Card Reader

But I still cannot get the Bluetooth part to appear (in Network adapters) and a separate Bluetooth section to appear. I already got some Broadcom Bluetooth Audio and even hansfree dangling in Audio section and now I ran out of inf files.... what a mess!

No Events found!