Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 8th, 2004 22:00

CD-RW

Hello,

I pulled out my CD-RW in my 4400 to upgrade it and when I put it back in and plugged everything in it wouldn't work. It spins up and opens/closes but it wont read cd's and doesnt show up under my computer". What do I need to do for my computer to recognize my CD-RW?

Thanks in advance

16 Posts

First off, thanks, but ok whats the jumper? I didn't change anything except unplug and replug

593 Posts

Did you move the jumper on the drive to something other than Cable Select?  If so, move it back to cable select and everything should be groovy.

593 Posts

February 8th, 2004 23:00

The jumper is a little tab on the back that you can move around to tell the motherboard whether or not the drive is the primary or secondary drive.  You can also set it to let the motherboard decide.  Chances are if you don't know what it is, you didn't change anything.  The next thing I'd look for is a bent pin either on the motherboard or the drive itself.

593 Posts

It's possible that you do need to reset the CMOS.  First I'd go into your BIOS and reset it to the defaults.  If that doesn't work then what you'll need to do is remove the battery from the motherboard and leave it sit out for about an hour.  Put it back in and everything should be back to normal.

16 Posts

well the cd-rw is just fine, it was working before i unplugged it, and i didnt notice any bent pins, is there any settings in need to change in cmos or anything??? all i did was unplug it and plug it back in (the same drive)

1.9K Posts

February 9th, 2004 14:00

go into BIOS and press ALT+F and then ESC and enter.  This will force all IDE drives to be re-detected.

You probably booted the system once or more w/o the CDROM in, and BIOS, not seeing the drive, turned that position "off".

No Events found!