Highlighted
Welshmally
2 Iron

CD won't run

I have started this topic in a new thread as a 'follow on' to my last post as the original issues have been resolved.

So far, I have cloned the old failing HDD on my 5150 (Win XP SP3) to a new one. All running well, but now the CD drive will not play a disc.

It's pretty new - about 4 months or so, and has run faultlessly for all of this time, but now will not play a CD, although it appears to read them OK (light on and correct noises). Enabled in BIOS and device manager and drivers installed and up to date.

I have also put the old one back in as it worked but not very well. This too will read a CD but not play it.

Neither are showing on My Computer.

Following the excellent Fireberd's advice, I removed the coin battery from the motherboard for a few minutes and checked the leads to ensure that they are properly located but to no avail.

If anybody has a suggestion as to what I can do I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

WM

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Welshmally
2 Iron

Re: CD won't run

That will teach me - had I used my loaf and LOOKED on the disk drive forum I would have found the solution right away (courtesy of Osprey) and the problem is fixed good 'n' proper!!

Doh!

WM

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

For the record, what was the problem/fix?

Glad to hear all is well again.

Jack (your Inverness neighbor emoticon.Cool.title )

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Welshmally
2 Iron

I'm not sure - I followed a link from a post by Osprey (very Scottish!) which took me a to a Microsoft fix tool. I ran it and hey presto, job done!

Just goes to show that if you look in the right places, the answers are often alredy on the forum. I am always amazed that ordinary people offer so much time giving really good advice on the net!

WM

0 Kudos