usmankhan47
1 Copper

CMOS Battery Dies so quickly

Hi. I have dell Optiplex 755 Desktop PC but I'm facing a problem with it. It's CMOS battery gets die so quickly. Mostly the CMOS battery can last for a year. I have replaced 3 CMOS battery. But they got expired within month. Please help me that how I can overcome to this problem. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: CMOS Battery Dies so quickly

Hi USMANKHAN47.

Do you turn off and unplug your PC every night?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Many places sell these batteries cheap because they are already several years old.

Get one from a pharmacy aka DURACELL DL2032 which isnt going to be more expensive but will last longer.

They have a  maximum 10 year shelf life. LESS in a HOT environment.

OR

You are turning off power strip at night. The battery is only designed to run the clock for short periods of time not 8 or more hours a night every night.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

This could also be a problem with the motherboard. Run the diagnostics to test all the hardware including the motherboard. This is a 7 year old model. It might be time to replace it.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I have several desktop computers that are unplugged for four to six months each year without the CMOS battery dying. One is 10 years old without a battery replacement. This is most likely a mother board issue.

I use cheap Chinese 2032 batteries for high demand applications and get usage equivalent to US drugstore versions. Cost is about a tenth as the drugstore.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
usmankhan47
1 Copper

Yes! every night I turn if off and unplug it.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

If the system is unplugged, the battery will not last as long. Fortunately, they're cheap and very easy to replace.

0 Kudos