Highlighted
jazeagle
1 Copper

CMOS Checksom Error

Hello All,

I have a dell Inspiron 530 that is giving me lots of trouble. For the most part it has been a get PC until recently. My cmos battery all but died so I went in and replaced the battery. I have had no other real issues until the battery replacement other than not being able to access bios. From the day it was purchased the keyboard and mouse don't work on startup. The do and always have worked once windows starts to load up. I've never really needed to use the keyboard before windows started up until now. After replacing the cmos battery I get a error message telling me cmos has restored to default settings followed by press F1 to continue or press F2 for startup. Since my keyboard won't function until windows starts I cannot press either F1 or F2 to allow it to continue. I have tried many different things but have been completely unsuccessful with everything. I've replaced battery, used jumper to reset cmos,, switched out with 7 other keyboards as well as tried every single USB port on the tower and still no luck. This PC is about 4 years old now and my youngest kids use it for school and such, which they are in 1st and 3rd grade. It used to work great for them but now it's completely useless. I have even argued with dell tech support extensively which they were absolutely no help at all ( surprise surprise). I would greatly appreciate any and all help and/or suggestions please.

Thanks so much in advance,

Joe

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: CMOS Checksom Error

jazeagle

First check that the CMOS battery is installed correctly, [page 160]

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-530_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Is the power button LED, Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message?

Are both the KB and mouse connected to USB ports, next to the Network Adaptor, [item 2, page 23]  located on the back panel?

Note: I've using the above ports for the KB and Mouse on my Inspiron 530 MT for 7+ years without any issues.

Then disconnect the power cord from the rear of the computer.

Press and hold in the PC power button for 10 seconds.

Reconnect the PC power cord and press the PC power button.

If it still does not turn on, then it could be a motherboard issue.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

jazeagle
1 Copper

Bev, thanks for your help and suggestions with my PC. I'm going to answer your questions in the order you asked and if you have can help or give me some more ideas and/or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it very much.

Yes the cmos battery is installed correctly as I went into my manual and double checked replacement and install of cmos battery as you suggested.

My power button LED is constant/solid/steady blue. It does not blink or flash or light any color but blue.

I get 1 short beep roughly 2seconds after I hit power button then there are no other/additional beeps at all after that. So I only get the one single beep 2 seconds after turning on and that is all.

I only get 1 error message on my screen when I try to startup my PC. Error message displayed is as follows:

CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded

Diskette drive 0 seek failure

Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter SETUP        (End of message)

Yes I have tried plugging kb and mouse into USB ports next to the network adapter as discribed in owners manual. I have also tried every other USB port that it built into tower and motherboard. I even went a step further and installed a USB card into PCI slots. I have tried it in both slots and still no luck. I know that PCI slots are good and working as I switched my PCI video card around and the video card works find but still no luck on kb or mouse.

As for disconnecting tower and holding down power button for 10 seconds didn't have any affect on my situation.

I'm very confident that the motherboard is not the issue. It is working like it has since the first time I powered up this PC. Taking PC out of the box and startup for the first time it did and always has not powered USB ports until windows starts to boot up. There is a speed boot option configured into the motherboard/cmos which prevents USB ports from receiving power until after cmos boot is complete allowing initial startup to boot faster. It then allows USB ports and devices to power as windows begins to launch. Dell put out a download that is a work around to this very issue. Once you download the file it allows you to launch or access bios from within windows once windows is fully loaded and running.  It is what dell came up with to allow you to actually get into bios which is where you have to be in order to disable the speed boot. They created this download to make ease of access simple and less complicated. There is another way to get around this issue per several dell reps however since my PC is no longer under or within warranty they want a boat load of money to walk me thru the process and get me back up and going. It was a crazy figure of $129 to start and to diagnose issue even though I have already clearly diagnosed that problem and figured out what's wrong they still want to charge that fee. Then once their supposed diagnosis is complete as if I haven't done that part of their job for them already, they then want $79 dollars per ever 30 minutes of said help and I had one rep tell me that it would probably take at minimum of 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs to successfully overcome and resolve the issue at hand. If there are any other issues or concerns I wanted addressed then those wonderful fees start over  and at the beginning with the $129 + $79 every 30 minutes thereafter. The way I see that is a total waste of money if you ask my. If I were going to spend that kind of money it rather go out  and buy a whole new PC which would come with a new warranty. I love this PC but I simply don't feel dumping that kind of money into is worth it when I can upgrade and buy brand new far better for the same ballpark as the fees they want to get out of providing support for this exact product. I really wanna bring this pic back to life but it simply isn't a good or smart investment at this time.

I'm desperately searching and hoping for any help or advice I can get with this issue. Thank you so very much and I really hope and look forward to hearing back from you or anyone that may be willing to help or offer suggestions and/or advice.

Thanks again so very much,

Joe

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

jazeagle

Sorry to say this, but one beep indicates a 'A possible checksum failure/Possible motherboard failure', [page 87] the solution for this is to replace the motherboard.

Regards to the 'Diskette drive 0 seek failure', try entering the system setup and check that the floppy drive is disabled [Drive A, page 189] ], to see if this makes a difference.

Many years ago, I had the same error on my 530 MT and replacing the MoBo was the solution.

FYI, while my 530 was under it's three year warranty, Dell not only replaced the MoBo, but also, I x hard drive, a memory module and 3 x PCIe video cards, two of them so-called Dell refurbished cards

This is the one time having a Dell warranty, paid dividends.

Since the warranty expired, there have been other failures, but I used them as an excuse to upgrade the system.

Quote:

"I know that PCI slots are good and working as I switched my PCI video card around and the video card works"

A question, why are you using a PCI video card, instead of a PCI Express x 16 card, surely using a PCIe card would be the better choice?

Note: PCIe x16 cards/slots and PCI cards/slots, are not compatible with each other

Due to my 530 MT age, if there's another costly hardware failure, the system will be unbundled, all the usable parts recycled to use in other desktops and the remainder sold on eBAY.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos