Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2017 10:00

CPU Cooler change for XPS 8700

I Have a XPS 8700 with a i7 4770 and its temperature is reaching high levels (77~80°C), which is causing stuttering on my games. I'd like to buy a new cooler but I don't know which one will fit. I only know that this processor has a LGA 1150 socket. Could you guys help me, please?

1.2K Posts

September 29th, 2017 17:00

I called a expert and he did a good job installing the cooler. He removed completely the back plate and put some screws instead.

After that, this was the final result

Unless it changed afterwards, your expert installed the fan so it is blowing the hot air back into the case.

I suggest turning it around 180 degrees.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 6th, 2017 07:00

I have seen other users who have removed our heatsink assembly and used 3rd party hardware. But you would then always get a fan error message on boot up. Hitting F1 allows you to proceed into Windows. I would first simply disassemble, clean the old thermal paste, apply new thermal paste, and then retest.

1.2K Posts

September 6th, 2017 16:00

I have replaced the CPU cooler on two of our 8700s with Cryorig H7s. 

I do not get a fan error message on boot up.

The one system I stress tested was 15 degrees Celsius cooler after the upgrade.

I wasn't the first to do this, and there is a video here where it is added to an xps 8900.

en.community.dell.com/.../21000552

here's a quick picture of one of mine

September 8th, 2017 15:00

I have already replaced the thermal paste, cleaned the heatsink and the CPU still reaches 80°C.

1.2K Posts

September 8th, 2017 19:00

80C is hot, but not outside the safe operating range. The problem is with that much heat at the CPU, eventually the air in the case will start to heat up, and then the cooling air intake to the PSU will be getting hotter, and hotter air and it will start to heat up also.

Vicious cycle. If the entire case is hot, then your hard drives will be at risk.

The H7 was a solid upgrade. It is a bit of work as you must remove the Motherboard from the case to get to the backside of the motherboard, but it was worth the effort. I have also added a 120mm front intake fan and upgraded the rear 92mm to a Noctua.  The combination of these has the systems running cool in spite of very heavy gaming usage

The H7 is $35 on amazon, and is one of the few tower coolers that will fit in the 8700 case and adapt to the Dell proprietary mount.

Are the temps better if you pull the cover of the case, and run without the cover on? if so, maybe it is the case fan not exhasting the air?

What software are you running when the CPU goes to 80C

How long does it take to reach this temp?

September 8th, 2017 21:00

I bought a Cooler Master Blizzard T2, RR-T2-22FP-R1 and I'll call a friend of mine to install it when it arrives.

I called a expert and he did a good job installing the cooler. He removed completely the back plate and put some screws instead.

After that, this was the final result

No, it's blowing outside, don't worry. He has shown me.

Also, the CPU temp is 50°C in game now, it was 80°C before the upgrade. Even the new GPU I've bought is reaching a higher temperature than the CPU.

1.2K Posts

September 29th, 2017 19:00

No, it's blowing outside, don't worry. He has shown me.

I'm not worried, it isn't my system.

But, every fan I've ever touched has had the open part as the intake, and the part with the support for the motor as the exhaust, and from the look of it in the picture, the fan is then blowing into the cooler.

If he rewired the fan to spin in the opposite direction, I think that would defeat the design of the fan blades.

Again, I don't really care what you do with your system but it looks like the fan is blowing the wrong direction.

No Events found!