Highlighted
2 Bronze

CPU Fan Failure: Does Dell Inspect Computers Before They Ship To Customer?

Jump to solution

After waiting 11 days  which included I believe a week in production of my tower, 11/17/2015 I finally received my New Inspiron Desktop Gamer Edition (Intel). I turned on the computer and guess what I had seen on the screen "CPU Fan Failure".  So now I have to ship the tower back to a Dell for a tech to fix the problem with the fan.

Here is my question. Does or does not Dell inspect their product before they ship it out to their customers? Well, Dell should have not shipped out the product if a "CPU Fan Failure" had existed before shipment.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
8 Krypton

RE: CPU Fan Failure: Does Dell Inspect Computers Before They Ship To Customer?

Jump to solution

Unfortunately things can happen in shipping too...

Before you send it back, open the case and check to see if the fan cable is correctly attached to the motherboard. The cable might have popped off the motherboard.

Just unplug it and reconnect it to the motherboard. If it's totally off the board, you can go to the Support page for this exact model and look for the link at top of that page for the manual. Most of the service manuals show a diagram of motherboard components/connectors and the CPU fan connector should be marked.

Hopefully that solves the problem so you won't have to send it back.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

View solution in original post

Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

You shouldn't have to deal with this on a brand new system. So if you're in the US and within 21 days of the invoice date, not the delivery date, you should tell Dell to replace the entire system with an identical unit and you'll send this one back when the replacement arrives.

That should be faster than shipping this one back, waiting for it to get fixed, waiting for...

Hope you get this sorted easily and quickly!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Unfortunately things can happen in shipping too...

Before you send it back, open the case and check to see if the fan cable is correctly attached to the motherboard. The cable might have popped off the motherboard.

Just unplug it and reconnect it to the motherboard. If it's totally off the board, you can go to the Support page for this exact model and look for the link at top of that page for the manual. Most of the service manuals show a diagram of motherboard components/connectors and the CPU fan connector should be marked.

Hopefully that solves the problem so you won't have to send it back.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Just to mention safety before you work inside the PC:

• Always power off, unplug and press/hold power button for  ~15 sec before opening the case.
  • And if working inside the case is beyond your capabilities, maybe a geeky friend can help.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I was going to open the tower myself but Dell tech support  advised me to send the tower to Dell to have a technician look at the problem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Dell tech support advised me to ship the tower to Dell to have a tech look at the problem. Also I do not want to void the warranty because I may make a mistake myself trying to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

You shouldn't have to deal with this on a brand new system. So if you're in the US and within 21 days of the invoice date, not the delivery date, you should tell Dell to replace the entire system with an identical unit and you'll send this one back when the replacement arrives.

That should be faster than shipping this one back, waiting for it to get fixed, waiting for...

Hope you get this sorted easily and quickly!

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos