Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2010 16:00

Cable to connect Sound Blaster to front ports

Hi,

I'm keen to source the cable required to hook my Sound Blaster card to the front ports on the PC.  Anyone know where I can source this in the UK?  At the very least, can anyone describe what exactly I'm looking for, so that I'll know it should I see it on, for example, eBay?  All I know for sure is that it seems to be a proprietary connector at the front ports-end, but a fairly standard connector at the sound card end.  I'm also led to believe the wiring could differ according to the model of PC I own.  This I've gleaned from forums where people were discussing the same topic.

Hope someone can help,

S.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 31st, 2010 21:00

Always include the PC model in your posts! :emotion-5:

Since Dell typically uses  proprietary connectors to the front panel, your best bet is to contact Dell Spare Parts and have your Service Tag number handy. Don't know how you do that in the UK. In the US, they have a toll-free number.

Ron

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 1st, 2010 04:00

In the 700 model timeframe that was a proprietary Dell cable that was supplied with new models that included the Optional SoundBlaster sound card.  I haven't heard of anyone getting the cables from Dell aftermarket. 

One possibile chance is that SOME models in that timeframe (maybe later) had a "standard" ATX style connection to the Mic/Headphone jack circuit board on the front panel and if yours has this a standard "ATX" style cable, like the ones used in standard ATX computer cases will work. 

The other option is an I/O panel that mounts in a 3 1/2" floppy diskette slot in cases (don't recall if there is an option for a floppy diskette in the 700) that includes Mic and Headphone jacks along with USB ports and depending on the model other ports.  You don't have to use the other ports just use the mic/headphone jacks and the cable to connect to the sound card.   HERE is an example of this.

14.4K Posts

August 1st, 2010 07:00

The cabel that you are in search of is definatly a proprietary cable that normally came with the 7xx systems in which the sound card was installed.  What you might to do is check to see if there is a cable connected to the motherboard onboard sound connection. If so this is the same cable that will connect to a Dell branded creative card

30 Posts

August 1st, 2010 09:00

@Ron: Always be sure to read the sigs :emotion-5:

I just called Dell Sales, and they gave me a number for Technical Support, open tomorrow from 8am.

@fireberd: 

One possibile chance is that SOME models in that timeframe (maybe later) had a "standard" ATX style connection to the Mic/Headphone jack circuit board on the front panel and if yours has this a standard "ATX" style cable, like the ones used in standard ATX computer cases will work.

I'm afraid I wouldn't recognise an ATX cable or connector if I saw one.  This link <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> is to the Technical Manual for my model.  Scroll down half a page to "System Board Components."  The audio I/O connector on the mobo is part 5, nearest the top-right edge.  At the following link you'll see the Front Panel diagram.  While none of the connectors to the mobo are marked, I'm assuming the audio I/O connection is the lowermost on the board.  With these two diagrams in mind, do you think I have an ATX connector?

Thanks for suggesting I just add a new I/O panel—I'd rather not.  I'd rather just pursue the appropriate cable required to hook up to the existing front panel.  If someone can direct me to where it describes exactly what this cable comprises—pin connections included—I could always try to get it made up locally, no?

@Davet50:

So far as I can tell, the mobo connection for the I/O panel (see the first link above in my reply to Fireberd) is far larger than any of the connections available on the XtremeGamer card.  Pity, as I had hoped that what you suggest might be true.

As I say, at the very least it would be nice if someone could describe what exactly I'm looking for (or offer a link to a webpage that does), so that I'll know it should I see it.  At the moment, I'm pretty much in the dark.  There was some stuff on eBay, but I think it was for the XPS 720.

Thanks for the replies.

S.

No Events found!