Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2011 15:00

Can I install XP Pro 64bit on my Dimension 3100

I have a Dimension 3100 and using it for audio processing.  Some of my plugins would work much better with a 64-bit OS.  I think Windows 7 is to advanced for the 3100 (am I wrong?) so I'd like to install XP 64-bit.  I don't see any drivers for this version for download from Dell Support.  Any advice is appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 5th, 2011 04:00

I suspect that since the maximum memory capability is only 2GB there was no reason to support 64 bit OS.  Also you will need a MINIMUM of 2GB (more is better) for Windows 7 32 bit and more for Windows 7 64 bit.   My 64 bit system is using over 2.4 GB of RAM just with Internet Explorer and e-mail open.   Same way with just Sonar running and a small analog project (6 tracks).  Adding MIDI tracks jumps that up quite a bit.

I have a "trial" version of Reaper 64 that I just downloaded.  With the basic program open - no tracks used  - and no other programs open my memory usage is 1.94GB.  If I also open my Saffire Mix Control, which would normally also be opened (I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 audio interface unit) it jumps up to 2.08 GB of RAM used.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 4th, 2011 16:00

I have a Sonar X1 64 bit DAW (Windows 7 64 bit OS).  If there are no Dell drivers, it would be iffy if you could get all the Dell hardware working.  

Are your plugins full 64 bit?  Many of the VST plugins that come with Sonar, 64 bit version, are still 32 bit and Sonar uses bit bridge to get them to work.  

The biggest boost for 64 bit OS and 64 bit DAW is that it can use more than 4GB of RAM.  The maximum RAM for the 3100 is only 2GB so it wouldn't do much good to go with a 64 Bit OS.

3 Posts

November 4th, 2011 16:00

I'm using Reaper 4 32bit but would like to use the 64bit version and the VST's I use mostly have 64 bit versions.  This computer is used only for audio.  It does need network access, so I'd at least need to get that working.  It's strange there would be no 64-bit drivers for the Dimension 3100 since it does come with a 64-bit processor.  

3 Posts

November 5th, 2011 10:00

Ah well it seems that I've probably got this machine as maxed out as possible then.  I've updated the PSU to 400 watts and put a Geforce 8600 GST in it, and 2GB of RAM.  I guess this is the best this old machine will do.  I'm still able to get some work done on it so that's good.  I just freeze tracks to audio when it pushes the limit.  Thanks for your help.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 5th, 2011 12:00

I suspect that since the maximum memory capability is only 2GB there was no reason to support 64 bit OS.  Also you will need a MINIMUM of 2GB (more is better) for Windows 7 32 bit and more for Windows 7 64 bit.  

Minimum RAM for Windows 7 is officially 1gb for 32-bit and 2gb for 32-bit. These aren't enforced, though: I was able to install the 64-bit version on a machine (used for moderate tasks like Web surfing and word processing) with 1gb.

No Events found!