Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2017 11:00

Can I keep a Motherboard in my case while waiting for rest of parts?

I'm building a PC, and as i don't have very much money i'm buying the pieces over time. And as a motivator for myself to work i'm adding the pieces to the case as i buy them so i can look over and see my progress, so im wondering if its ok to keep a "MSI Gaming Intel b250 LGA 1151 Gaming Pro Carbon"  in the case without anything attached to it for a while. Im getting the parts over 3-4 months, would it damage the motherboard to be sitting idle in the case?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 1st, 2017 12:00

No, but it's easier to mount the CPU and RAM on the board before mounting the board into the case.  

October 1st, 2017 13:00

Nvm misunderstood your answer sorry

October 1st, 2017 13:00

I meant more like would it actualy damage the motherboard in any way

1.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2017 12:00

My .02 is I would not buy some parts in advance without having a way to test them.  3-4 months is a long time. If you end up with a bad Mobo, and it has been sitting for 3 months, then the retailer probably won't accept it for a return/replacement and you'll need to work with the Manufacturer. Also you'll eat up 25% of the warranty, which is probably OK since I think the DOA failure is the most likely.

I would not buy a MoBo or a CPU or RAM  without having a way to test it.

I don't mean to discourage you, but instead of pre-buying some of the parts, I would save until you can build it all. You''ll likely end up with a better system at a better price since in general prices are falling and will be less costly later than they are now.

Black Friday Sales are the exception and the second time is right around christmas / newyears.

good luck

No Events found!