Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 27th, 2004 21:00

Can I modify my BIOS to ignore Fan?

The fan went out on my 3 year old Dimension 8100 Pent 4.  After two weeks of calling Dell and begging a replacment, I was finally told this morning the part is no longer made or supported!!

I went to my local Frys to look at fans, but they did not have one with a plug that would fit my motherboard.  So, I bought one that directly ties in with my power source.  The fan works great, but since the motherboard was bypassed I still get the message "Alert! System fan no detected. Strike F1 to continue, F2 for Setup".

Is there a way I can alter my Bios to stop looking for a fan, so that I can get rid of this alert message everytime I boot my PC?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Message Edited by jrmr2000 on 07-27-2004 05:25 PM

9.4K Posts

July 28th, 2004 10:00

Unless there is an option in the BIOS Setup to disable the System Event Log then I am afraid you are going to be stuck with that alert.  Have you tried leaving the old fan plugged in even though you have a new one installed?  If it were me and having the old fan plugged in eliminated the alert message then I would find a way to leave it connected and mount it in an out of the way location. 

If you haven't done so already you might want to post your problem over in the Dimension - Upgrade Hardware forum.  That forum is a little more popular than the BIOS forum and possibly someone there has run across the problem before.

3 Posts

July 28th, 2004 13:00

The only option I see in the  BIOS Setup is to clear the system event log.  I was hoping there might be something less obvious to me...not knowing much about BIOS.  

Leaving the old fan plugged in does not stop the error message.  :(

I appreciate your response...if you have any other ideas, please share them with me.  I'll post over in the Upgrade forum too.

9.4K Posts

July 29th, 2004 11:00

The only other thing I can think of is to modify the old fan plug to eliminate the Alert.  A short while ago an Optiplex owner posted this forum message about modifying the plug to eliminate the Alert message on his computer.  Possibly there is a similar solution for your model if you know someone with an electronics background that could check it out.

3 Posts

July 29th, 2004 13:00

I appreciate the reference to that thread.  This is an interesting possibility and one I will definitely investigate.  Thanks again...

August 27th, 2004 04:00

jrmr2000,

I had the same fan problem with the Dell Dimension 8100 (P4 1.3 GHz) PC (System fan not detected).  I bought a DYNEX (Blue LED CASE FAN) from Best Buy for $11.99 and spliced the wires (white,red & black) directly to the original MOBO fan connector.  I also added an ADAPTEC PCI-mounted case fan.  Now I have the SMPS fan, CPU cooling fan and an additional fan to expel hot air from inside the case to out.  It's working great.  My PC has never performed better and the error message no longer appears!!

Hope this helps!!

Regds,

Siva.

29 Posts

April 10th, 2006 22:00

Done did it!!!  Bought a 92 mm TriCool Antec.  It has a separate RPM sole wire indicator with a plug at the end.  Dell's proprietary business model doesn't allow it to plug into the mobo black plastic socket which came with the computer.  So in defiance I pulled off the mobo plug with long nose pliers and then I rotated the new fan's plug so it would line up with the white signal wire and it sliped on without problems!!!!!!!!!  No wiring, soldering, jumper wires or what not, and no f1 boot error.  The cool thing about this fan is that it has a high/med/low switch which allows one to set the rpms from 1200-2050 rpms.  Why do you people insist on doing things the hard way!  Eapk for president 2010!
No Events found!