Highlighted
2 Iron

Can I upgrade Inspiron 3847 with a GTX 950 card without a new power supply

I'm looking to upgrade the graphics on my Inspiron 3847 and I'm wondering whether my Dell Bestec power supply has the connections necessary to support this video card: www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

The EVGA web site says you need a 6-pin connector; if so, can I connect this card to a stock Dell power supply?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
8 Xenon

RE: Can I upgrade Inspiron 3847 with a GTX 950 card without a new power supply

No you have to get a compatible 3rd party supply like the EVGA 700B1 or 750B1.

EVGA Super nova B1 works fine.  B2 G2 etc Does not.

You need a supply that has 150W on the 3.3v/5v rails.

The G2 for example has only 120W.

The NEX750 B1 label is below followed by the G2 label.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-Supernova-Bronze-Modular-Supply/dp/B01BGG5PU6

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Thanks for the response. Actually, that card requires 110 W, so the power supply requirements aren't that steep. The question was whether the stock power supply had the necessary power connector for the card. I guess I can open up the PC myself and look, something I really didn't want to do (and was hoping someone had the info).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

The 3847 has a 305W power supply.  You cannot look at a power supply as a single rail of watts and 12v.  The 3.3v and 5v rails are used on the motherboard AND on the PCI-E slots.  So the answer is still NO YOU CANT DO THAT because the stock power supply does not provide an AUX power connection.

An Ancient Dell Precision 375W power supply would work because this unit has a 6 pin PCI-E connection.   Hint you get 75W from each 6 pin connection and from the X16 Slot for a total of 225W.

Any card you put in must be a MINI ITX version because full length cards do not physically fit into a 3847 case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Mini+IT...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos