Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2012 12:00

Can I upgrade my XPS730?

I have already upgraded my Dell XPS730 with an GTX560 Ti graphics card, increased my memory to 8 Gigs and purchased the Win7 Home Premium 64 bit OS.

I use it primarily for gaming.  I can see that an upgrade to an i7 processor would be desireable but as I understand, that means upgrading the motherboard as well.  Is it possible or is there a whole can of worms waiting in the background??

June 1st, 2012 15:00

Hi maddawg1,

Welcome to the Community.

If you replace the motherboard and the processor, it would be costing like a near new system and that much money can be invested to get a new system.

Please reply for any further assistance.

Thank you

Dwij Paul

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

6 Posts

June 2nd, 2012 08:00

So It is cheaper to spend another $2800 for a new Dell PC rather than replace the mother board and processor?  Not to mention the upgrades that I have already purchased to upgrade the O/S, memory and GPU.  In other words the PC I purchased 3 1/2 years ago should be junked even though it now has Win7 64 bit, 8 gigs of RAM and a GTX560 Ti graphics card?  The only thing slowing the system is the processor.

14.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2012 10:00

In a nut shell the answer would be yes. The cost of a board and processor will be close to 1k. Then you may or  may not  be able to use your ram as the new boards require Ram with less voltage requirement. The board my fit in the cast but the proprietary connections can be a issue as the pinouts are undocumented.

6 Posts

June 2nd, 2012 11:00

Ok, now were getting down to "brass tacks".  Thanks Davet!!

No Events found!