Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2015 00:00

Can NX be enabled on "Intel Core2 Quad Q8300" - Dell Studio 540 Slim?

I have a Studio Slim Desktop 540ST which has an “Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8300” processor. Currently it is running Windows 7.

When I tried to reserve Win10, I got a message saying that the processor doesn’t have NX. (this is the same issue identified with the Win8.1 upgrade tool)

From what I can see online, this processor does support NX.

I looked in the BIOS and can’t seem to see anywhere to enable NX. I am pretty sure that I do have the latest BIOS.

Can someone tell me where or how I can do enable this, surely if its supported there must be a way to activate it.

I really want to install Windows 10 when its available.

Thanks

(I do realise the PC is a around 5 years old, but its runs perfectly for my needs and has had a few performance upgrades along the way (SSD, Ram and HDD) so I don’t really want to replace it right now.)

25 Posts

June 18th, 2015 18:00

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I am confused - I finally found the setting in my BIOS.

Under "Advanced" I found "Execute Disable" which was already set to ENABLED.

The Win 8.1 compatibility tool said my processor does not support NX with this enabled.

So I decided to set this switch to DISABLE. The message "when disabled, force the XD feature flag to always return 0".

Now, when I ran the Win 8.1 compatibility tool, it seemed to work saying my PC is compatible with 8.1.

I am correct in assuming that setting the switch to in my BIOS to DISABLE has the action of turning the feature on that the processor requires?

It seems counter-intuitive which is why I am confused.

Interestingly enough, the Win 10 compatibility checker now still says my processor is not compatible without saying what specifically is missing, so there must be something else that Win10 needs that 8.1 doesn't.

thanks

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 16th, 2015 02:00

http://ark.intel.com/products/39107/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q8300-4M-Cache-2_50-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

The feature must be ENABLED in BIOS under Security its called EXECUTE DISABLE BIT.

you should be ready after that.  Much older systems Like the GX620 work with 64 bit windows 8.1  when they have pentium D  pressler 900 series which is from 2006.  8.1 and 10 require NX as well as LAHF  SAHF and CMPXCHG16

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 19th, 2015 13:00

Might be a bios bug.

I would leave it that way and try to install 8.1.

If it doesn't install then switch back.

Bottom line is that I'm installing 8.1 64 bit on ancient vacuum tube GX620's with Pentium D pressler 900 series and it works fine. 8.1 64 bit and even 10 require NX, LAHF/SAHF, CompareExchange128, and a few other instructions that 8.0 and earlier did not.

If it works with 8.1 64 bit it will work with 10.

Pentium D 900 series are from 2006 so your Cpu is just fine.

I think your testing compatability programs are bugged also.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 10:00

Thanks for posting this. I didn't even think to try disabling since everyone said it needed to be enabled. I disabled the setting and was FINALLY able to update to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Thanks!

25 Posts

February 19th, 2016 19:00

Hi Cass

I am about to disable this in my BIOS and see if the upgrade works.

Just checking that your Win 10 is running ok with this disabled?

(And I assume that you have left it disabled? )

Thanks

2 Posts

February 19th, 2016 19:00

Hello Larrens,

I actually just got off my laptop. It has worked perfectly since the upgrade and I've received all windows updates just fine. Yes, I did leave it disabled. I don't know what would happen if I re-enabled it. I actually didn't event think about trying it. If you try it, let me know how that works for you. I hope it works for you as well!

No Events found!