Highlighted
Wrwk
2 Iron

Can One Install An M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD In An XPS 8300

Will an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD work within an XPS 8300 Desktop using an M.2 PCIe adapter ?

I'd like to take advantage of the faster speeds and use it as a boot drive if possible, if not then use it as a secondary drive along with a standard SSD drive as the boot.

Can an M.2 NVMe PCIe reach it's top speeds in an XPS 8300 ?  If not what if anything can I expect, and would it be worth it ?  Or is this something for my next Dell ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
beamermt79
4 Ruthenium

RE: Can One Install An M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD In An XPS 8300

You can probably use it as a 2nd drive with appropriate drivers installed but I don't think you can boot from it.  Honestly if you want NVME speeds i'd wait for your next computer purchase and get a computer with the m.2 NVME drive already installed or at least the slot built in to the motherboard.

0 Kudos
Wrwk
2 Iron

Thank you Beamer.  

Yes, I thought the same. At this point the Dell 8300 is probably too old to support NVMe.

0 Kudos
beamermt79
4 Ruthenium

It might with a PCIe Card, but honestly I think it would be a waste of money.  The new XPS systems have a built in M.2 slot for using as a boot drive or storage drive etc. which would be a lot cheaper.  

0 Kudos
Wrwk
2 Iron

I suppose I'd have to try it to be sure. Though I'd think there would be quite a few posts here from other XPS 8300 users who have successfully installed NVMe PCIe Cards. And having searched through this forum I haven't come across any.

0 Kudos