Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 5th, 2010 19:00

Can i use Physx GPU and SLI at the same time ?

hello,  i got the XPS 700 with x6800 2.93GHz dual core, i have 2 of the GeFore 9800 GT 1gb, in the Nvidia control panel under set SLI and PhysX configuration, can i Enabled the PhysX GPU acceleration and Enable the SLI at the same time ? was asking cause when i Enable them both and i start playing bad company2 the screens ficks with a blueish color but i can still see whats going on, if i disabled the PhysX and leave SLI on i can running the game great, also if i enabled the PhysX and disable the SLI it works fine, just wondering if i can use the PhysX and SLI at the same time //       ?

or i can run only one at a time ? im guessing SLI is better ?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 6th, 2010 08:00

They should not conflict with each other. It sounds more like the game is the culprit. Have you found other users of the game with the same issue?

2 Intern

• 

262 Posts

April 6th, 2010 09:00

My understanding of the nVidia cards is that in order to take full advantage of PhysX, one card must be dedicated to PhysX processing.  I'm not sure whether that means you can't have SLi and PhysX with two cards, or if you'd actually need three cards.  One dedicated to PhysX processing, and the other two in SLi.  I'd check over at the nVidia forums and see what they have to say about it.

14.4K Posts

April 6th, 2010 17:00

Also are you running the latest Nvidia drivers? Nvidia now incorporates PhysX into the drives so you really don't need the card at all.

April 6th, 2010 20:00

hello again, thanks for the help, yes i got the new drivers for nvidia well i should here them  i just got the 2 - 9800 GT 1gb video cards and downloaded the new drivers, i just don't understand the differents betwin SLI and PhysX.. when i use SLI works great but i here useing the PhysX is better.

anything i can tell you if you need to know for more help

2 Intern

• 

262 Posts

April 7th, 2010 09:00

hello again, thanks for the help, yes i got the new drivers for nvidia well i should here them  i just got the 2 - 9800 GT 1gb video cards and downloaded the new drivers, i just don't understand the differents betwin SLI and PhysX.. when i use SLI works great but i here useing the PhysX is better.

anything i can tell you if you need to know for more help

This specifically from the nVidia FAQ: 

How does PhysX work with SLI and multi-GPU configurations?
When two, three, or four matched GPU's are working in SLI, PhysX runs on one GPU, while graphics rendering runs on all GPU's. The NVIDIA drivers optimize the available resources across all GPU's to balance PhysX computation and graphics rendering. Therefore users can expect much higher frame rates and a better overall experience with SLI.

A new configuration that’s now possible with PhysX is 2 non-matched (heterogeneous) GPU's. In this configuration, one GPU renders graphics (typically the more powerful GPU) while the second GPU is completely dedicated to PhysX. By offloading PhysX to a dedicated GPU, users will experience smoother gaming.

Finally we can put the above two configurations all into 1 PC! This would be SLI plus a dedicated PhysX GPU. Similarly to the 2 heterogeneous GPU case, graphics rendering takes place in the GPU's now connected in SLI while the non-matched GPU is dedicated to PhysX computation.

If you want more detail read these FAQs:

The nVidia PhysX FAQ:  http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_faq.html

The nVidia SLi FAQ: http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html

These should explain the difference.  Good luck.

No Events found!