Highlighted
dear64
1 Copper

Can't Reboot Past External "Locked" Hard Drive

Help - Please!!!  My Desktop decided to install the Windows 10 updates to my Windows 7 environment -- oh the joys!  Nothing but trouble ever since.  I uninstalled 10 to take me back to 7.

Upon reboot all was fine for a day.  Then, black screen with a cursor.  What the heck?  I checked all the things I was told to check, I ran all the diagnostics.  I uninstalled, reinstalled, did a system restore back to before the update.

After spending 3+ hours letting my system go thru the recommended ePSA Preboot System Assessment (All Tests Passed) - Today I have a system that I can't get to boot up because it says I have:

"The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible."

I'm not a computer geek.  I can't get thru to anyone at Dell.  I've been trying to resolve this for 4 days now. 

The only thing I can think that is happening is that the computer is trying to boot from an external hard drive that is in a "locked/password protected" mode on my system.  I have no idea how to bypass this.  I've tried unhooking the drive and rebooting and then it just goes back to black screen with a cursor.

Can anyone help me?  Please?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: Can't Reboot Past External "Locked" Hard Drive

Hi DEAR64,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please check if you can boot into safe mode <F8>.

Do you have the OEM Operating system DVD?

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id (Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos