Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

August 6th, 2012 18:00

Can't Update BIOUS on T110 II (no USC 'Platform Update' option)

I can't figure out how to update the BIOS on my DELL T110 II.  It seems simple enough in theory: restart; hit F10 when the Dell logo appears in order
to start the Universal Server Configurator (USC); then select the Platform Update option.  My problem is that no "Platform Update" option appears in the USC's list of options.  I've tried using the USC's network settings page to configure my NIC to use my DHCP server, but I still don't get a USC "Platform Update" option.  I'm running vMware vSphere (ESXi 5.0) but I don't see how that would affect a BIOS update.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Best, Blake

August 25th, 2012 14:00

Any updates on this? I  have the same problem.

14 Posts

August 25th, 2012 17:00

The short answer is "no".  I did figure out that it's normal to not have that option on the T110 II, and that you need to burn the USC to a DVD and use that to configure a USB drive with the BIOS firmware, then boot from the DVD and reload the BIOS from the USB drive (I'm away from my machine at the moment and may have misdescribed things a bit, but that's the jist of it).  Anyway, the process seemed needlessly convoluted and I eventually gave up.  For example, the USC .iso file was too big to fit on a single layer DVD, so I wound up mounting the .iso file and booting that.  Then the files destined for the USB drive were collectively too big to fit on the spare 4GB flash drive I had on hand, so I omitted a few files that obviously didn't apply to my situation.  When I finally got to the point of trying to load the new BIOS firmware off the USB drive I got an error message to the effect that the USB drive wasn't formatted correctly (again, I may be slightly misdescribing things).  At that point I gave up.  All in all, a very frustrating waste of time.

4 Posts

January 15th, 2013 15:00

Where do I find the USC iso?? I'm in the same boat and ready to throw this thing in the trash

14 Posts

January 15th, 2013 16:00

I "think" it may be downloadable via http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=G12Y2 but I confess it's been so long I've forgotten.  BTW, I never did get my BIOS updated.  It got to the point that I would have had to take it into a Dell service depot for a BIOS upgrade, which is nuts.  I'm now having more fun: I have a spare 1TB drive so I thought I'd install it in my T-110 II rather than let it collect dust on the shelf.  I thought it would be easy, but when I opened the box I saw that I ordered it with a hardware RAID controller.  I don't see an obvious way to install an extra SATA drive (which I do not want to include in my RAID configuration).  So that drive is indeed collecting dust on the shelf.

4 Posts

January 16th, 2013 08:00

@ WWYW - 

Thank you for your reply. I was unable to find the iso you had mentioned, but I did find a successful workaround for the BIOS upgrade, although it took me a few hours to figure out the exact process. :) I was just successful in updating my BIOS from 1.0.4 to 1.9.2 (what a jump!) Below are my instructions: 

##PowerEdge T110 BIOS update##

1.) Download the latest BIOS dos executable from support.dell.com (1.9.2 for me)

2.) Create a bootable MS-DOS USB by following these steps: 

Download Rufus utility, Rufus v 1.1.7 without FreeDOS Support (Note version):

https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/downloads

Download Win98_bootdisk.iso from allbootdisks.com: 

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html

Run Rufus_v1.1.7.exe

Click the disk icon to the right of "Create a Bootable disk using:" and select the Win98_bootdisk.iso you just downloaded. (I got what looked to be an error here but it is not an error....proceed forward!) 

Click Start. Once it is finished, copy the BIOS update .exe you downloaded from support.dell.com to the USB and run the executables in DOS mode. 

Success. Drink Beer. 

-rsmith303

4 Posts

January 16th, 2013 14:00

Just wanted to add the final steps in case someone comes looking. It took me all day to figure out how to install an OS. I had to download the "Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation DVD" iso from the drivers section for the T110.

www.dell.com/.../poweredge-t110

Instructions:

1.) 1. Download the latest "Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation" DVD.

2. Visit http://support.dell.com/, and search for drivers for your model of server.

In the "Systems Management" category, select "Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation" (click on the text, not the 'download' button, as this is a multi-part download).

3. Download all parts - (there are currently two)

DVD ISO Image 1 - OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01_iso.001

and

DVD ISO Image 1 - OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01_iso.002

4. From the Download Page, view the Installation Instructions, they have been copied here for convenience:

Download all ISO file segments into an empty subdirectory on your local hard drive.  After you have downloaded all the file segments, run the following command to create the ISO file:

copy /b OM*  OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso  [Windows]

cat  OM*  > OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso [Linux]

Note:  If the wildcard format above does not bring the file segments in the right order, run the following command instead to create the ISO file:

copy /b OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.001+OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.002 OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso [Windows]

cat OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.001  OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.002 > OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso [Linux]

Use your DVD burning software to create a DVD from OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.

Custom Instructions for OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.002:

This is part 2 of 2 of the ISO file.

Download all ISO file segments into an empty subdirectory on your local hard drive.  After you have downloaded all the file segments, run the following command to create the ISO file:

copy /b OM*  OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso  [Windows]

cat  OM*  > OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso [Linux]

Note:  If the wildcard format above does not bring the file segments in the right order, run the following command instead to create the ISO file:

copy /b OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.001+OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.002 OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso [Windows]

cat OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.001  OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.002 > OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso [Linux]

Use your DVD burning software to create a DVD from OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.            

5. Follow the insturctions above to create the DVD ISO - you can use your favorite DVD Burning Software to burn to disk.

Once the Disk was created, I booted from DVD and followed the on-screen instructions to install a compatible OS. This process was VERY LONG and although it felt like the computer had frozen up, it had not, so be patient. It then asked me to insert the OS DVD which I did and after an hour of install I had a solid version of 2k8R2 running on my box.

Hope this helps.

-Rsmith303

2 Posts

February 21st, 2013 16:00

I have been working on doing the exact same thing but in dos mode I try to run the bios 1.9.2 update and it says cannot run executable in dos mode?

No Events found!