Neal Miller
2 Iron

Can't adjust microphone gain

My system is a Dell XPS Studio XPS 9000, with a Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio card. 

The audio-out jack is plugged into the Dell speaker-bar mounted under my monitor.  I'd like to use the front audio jacks to plug in a headset/microphone combination.  I've had partial success, but the microphone pickup is extremely low.

I'm fairly certain that the solution entails adjusting the "boost" or "gain."  However, I've gone through every tab, and I can find no such control.  The most logical place is:

(starting from the system tray)

Right click speaker icon > Recording Devices

Screenshot 1

Here, "Microphone FP" is the default device, and it is marked with a green checkmark.  An "incoming volume meter on the right shows that it's picking up my voice.  However, speaking at normal levels only illuminates the bottom-two bars.

I right-click Microphone FP, and select Properties, and then the Levels tab.

Screenshot 2
:

The levels are set to maximum, and I get the sense from other posts that I'm supposed to see controls here for the boost/gain.  I'm not seeing them.

I have updated my software using the latest drivers.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Many thanks for any information.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Neal Miller
2 Iron

Re: Can't adjust microphone gain

(Duplicate post deleted)

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

First step would be to "reseat" the SoundBlaster sound card.  With the PC powered off, open the case and remove the SoundBlaster sound card, then reinstall making sure it's fully and correctly seated in the connector.  If that doesn't help, check Creative for an updated driver and if none exists, download the current driver and reinstall it.

I notice in your link that you only show the Mic Volume at approx 50%.  Also, have you tried a different computer mic? just to make sure the unit you have isn't defective.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Neal Miller
2 Iron

I've reseated the sound card, and reinstalled the software, but this did not make the Boost/Gain control appear on the interface. I have no other computer microphone... But should that really make a difference as to whether Windows 7 is capable of boosting the microphone's input?
0 Kudos