Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2015 13:00

Can't connect to web.

I have an Inspiron One 2305. Yesterday morning everything was fine. By noon I could not connect to the web. The network connection shows that I am connected. I still get a "can't connect to page" error. I have run anti-virus, and malware programs. Still nothing. Doing a system restore I can connect to one page. Try to leave that page and I get the same error. Can anyone give me an idea?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 5th, 2015 12:00

At this point you may want to repair or reinstall Win 7. Make sure all your personal files are backed up on external media first.

To do a repair, you'll need your Dell Win 7 reinstallation disk. Start with a hard drive check

• Click Start>Run
  • Type in: chkdsk c: /f
  • Click OK
  • Accept offer to run chkdsk on next boot and then reboot. chkdsk will run before Windows loads. Be patient because this may take a while, depending on size of your hard drive.

Unlikely chkdsk is going to fix the network problem, but check anyway...

Next run a Windows system file check (sfc):

• Click Start>Run
  • Type in: sfc /scannow
  • Click OK
  • Insert Dell Windows Reinstallation disk, if/when requested
  • Reboot when it's done
  • Check networking again

If that doesn't help, make sure your files are backed up! Then reboot and press F8 before Windows loads. Look for the Repair option which may be on an Advanced options menu. Follow the prompts. See if that fixes the network problems. And be sure to go the Windows Update site and reinstall all updates that are missing after the Repair.

780 Posts

June 26th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us.

Can you try surfing the internet in "Safe mode with Networking"?

If that works, the issue is with the anti virus or some 3rd part softwares are blocking the PC to open the webpages.

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 26th, 2015 12:00

What browser?

Have you tried clearing the browser's cache and temp files?

In IE, click Tools>Internet Options>(browsing history) Delete button>check all but first item>Delete button

7 Posts

June 26th, 2015 17:00

Running Explorer on Windows 7. Will try clearing system cache.

7 Posts

Tried safe mode with networking. Still getting "can't display web page" message.

7 Posts

Clearing system cache didn't work.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 26th, 2015 19:00

Is this a WiFi or Ethernet connection?

Do you have a home network? Is any other device on your network having connection issues?

Do you have a router and/or modem? Have you tried rebooting both of them?

If that doesn't help, open Device Manager and see if the entry for your network adapter is marked with an X or !.

If the adapter isn't marked with problems in Device Manager, maybe you need to contact your ISP because it's possible their service is down...

7 Posts

June 26th, 2015 22:00

Have tried both WiFi and Ethernet connection. All other devices on the network work fine. Have rebooted multiple times. Device manager shows everything working properly. ISP said it could be a problem with the network card going bad. Bought an external USB WiFi adapter and an external USB Ethernet adapter neither fixed the problem. The network map shows no problems internet connection fine. Explorer can't connect to web page, and all programs that update say they can't connect with server. This is getting frustrating. I have even done a system restore. No luck. I will try anything that I can to fix this.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 29th, 2015 14:00

If the internal NIC and the USB WiFi and Ethernet adapters don't work, then this sounds more like a software issue and not hardware.

Have you scanned thoroughly for malware recently? Is your firewall and/or anti-malware suite blocking network connections?

I presume you're using Internet Explorer (Explorer is the Windows manager). What version of IE are you using?

Have you tried resetting IE? Click Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab>Reset button, then reboot PC.

7 Posts

July 5th, 2015 10:00

Have scanned multiple times with malware and anti virus programs. Firewall set to allow access to IE. Reset IE didn't work. Still getting "can't display web page error. Any other ideas?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 7th, 2015 19:00

Glad to hear you got the internet problem fixed.

Might be worth making an image of the hard drive now that it's working and -hopefully- fully up-to-date so you can quickly restore a known good image if anything goes wrong in the future.

Depending on which brand (internal or external) HDD you have, go to that manufacturer's site and look for their free (limited) version of HDD imaging software. Seagate calls theirs DiscWizard which is a limited version of Acronis.

DiscWizard only lets you save full images of the drive (rather than incremental or selective images) as a file on another HDD or on DVDs, and to create a bootable CD that lets you boot their software and restore the image from the file. I presume the free Western Digital version will do the same thing.

And you can make additional images in the future if/when you install new software or new updates, and save those too, so you have more chances to protect your system....

7 Posts

July 7th, 2015 19:00

Reinstalling Windows 7 fixed the problem. I want to thank you for your time. Thank You.

No Events found!