Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2016 15:00

Can't find "Primary Display Adapter" setting in BIOS

I have an Optiplex 3020 using INTEL HD Graphics, that came with the unit. I recently purchased PNY GEFORCE GT 730 NVIDIA graphics card, as suggested by a Dell rep, in order to be able to output HDMI to my Smart TV. In the "Before you begin" section of the instructions, is says that "if you have on-board, built-in graphics, enter the system's BIOS setup and look for a setting called 'Primary Display Adapter', or something similar, and set this to PCI. If you cannot locate this setting, contact your system manufacturer." 

Well, I went into BIOS, but I can't find the setting, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Harry

January 4th, 2016 16:00

Oh, and I'm running Windows 10, in case that's an issue....

• 

351 Posts

January 6th, 2016 03:00

Hi dgnats,

When you plug in the video card and connect the video output cables to it, it should then become the default video output. There isn't any need to change any option in the BIOS before inserting the card into the PCI slot.

Normally if you have the card inserted and try to use the onboard connectors there'll be an error message onscreen advising to use the PCI video card.

January 6th, 2016 15:00

Thanks Colin. It's up and running!

No Events found!