Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2017 10:00

Can't get Dedicated Graphics card to work - help please!

I have a Dell Optiplex 790 DT model. It currently has the integrated graphics that came with the machine. I purchased a Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 for a dedicated graphics card. After I install the card, however, the display remains black and isn't receiving a signal from the new card. 

Any suggestions on how I can make this card work?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 10th, 2017 11:00

I read that PCIe 3.0 will work on PCIe 2.0 so I don't think that's the problem.

Probably depends on how PCI-e 3.0 was implemented on the card. You might ask the card's manufacturer if it's backward compatible with PCI-e 2.0.

I am assuming you've moved the monitor cable connection to the add-in video card, and it's not still connected to an onboard video port on the PC. 

And if you're not using the same type video port on the monitor you used with onboard video, that you've opened the monitor's On-Screen Display (OSD) -assuming it has an OSD- and changed the input to the new type of video port.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 9th, 2017 20:00

Always include version of Windows in your posts.

That card might not be compatible with your 790 DT.  

The power supply is only 250 W but NVidia recommends a minimum 300 W power supply.

The card supports PCI-e 3.0 but the PC runs PCI-e 2.0.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2017 20:00

Sorry about that - I have Windows 10 on this machine.

I am installing a 300w PSU right now to see if that will do it.

I read that PCIe 3.0 will work on PCIe 2.0 so I don't think that's the problem.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2017 11:00

Ron, I confirmed with Nvidia support that the card is backwards compatible to 2.0.

One thing I thought of today, that I will check tonight, is to make sure the HDMI port on my monitor works. I've only used the VGA, so maybe that input is not working.

Really good call about checking the OSD - I never thought of that. I just assumed if I plugged into it it would know and use that source for input. I may have to select HDMI... if that's the case I will feel very silly. Thank you for the thoughts and I will check tonight.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 10th, 2017 12:00

Monitors aren't smart about which port is getting the input. So if you didn't select HDMI on the OSD....

here!

4 Posts

July 10th, 2017 20:00

Enjoy a beer tonight, Ron, because Occam's razor prevailed again. Thanks for your help.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 11th, 2017 10:00

Only one...?

Glad you got it working.

No Events found!