Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2016 20:00

Can't locate input (or jack) to plug in external speakers in Optiplex 760

I would like to plug in external speakers into my Optiplex 760, but can't find location to do so.

I tried plugging in to port for headset, but it won't work for external speakers.

Thanks,

Rob in Arizona

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 26th, 2016 06:00

Audio esp doesn't work when the OEM driver is not installed with WINDOWS 7 OR 8 OR 10.

Description Download
Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated High Definition Audio Driver
This package provides the Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated High Definition Audio Driver and is supported on Precision and OptiPlex that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7.More details
Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio Driver
This package provides the Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio Driver and is supported on the OptiPlex, Precision and Latitude models that are running the following Windows Operating System: Windows 7.More details

AUDIO ESP is the Soundmax Control panel Applet that "sees" speakers and headphones etc plugged into the audio codec OR NOT.

The issue is that by default windows  7 or 8 or 8.1 or 10 will use a generic HD Audio driver and therefore things like the internal business speaker will not work and soundmax Audio ESP is non existant.

The solution is to install the Dell driver and then let windows update decide if the driver needs whql update.

This is a common problem.   The Audio ESP function that asks whats plugged into the port is not enabled in the generic win7, win8, win10 driver.  You also have to install DOTNET 4.0 and Directx June 2010

BEFORE installing this driver.  You also have to add the feature back for Legacy Direct Show from control Panel.  If you do all the right things in the right order it will work.  Control Panel, All Control Panel Items,  Programs and Features, Turn windows features on and Off,

Then do the checkboxes.  You MUST BE online when you do this because it will whine about not finding the features and needing to download them from windows update.

2 Posts

September 26th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for providing all these details and instructions.  However, since I'm not a techie, I'll need to engage a pro to come to the  house and pick up on these.  Thanks again!

No Events found!