Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2017 12:00

Can't reinstall Windows 10 on new hard drive (from Dell media) on Optiplex 3030 desktop?

We had an Optiplex 3030 desktop hard drive die on us, and I had to replace the hard drive with a blank unit from Dell.   The unit came with Dell's Windows 10 (64-bit) media installation DVD, but I'm not seeing a way to be able to reinstall the OS from it?   It's behaving like I need to have Windows 10 already installed on the hard drive, in order to do a system restore.   The machine came shipped with Windows 10, and is licensed for the operating system, so I'm at a loss to understand why this is happening?

This hasn't been the case with any previous OS discs that shipped with Dell units (Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1).   Why the change in method, where I can't reinstall Windows 10 cleanly to a Dell system?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 10th, 2017 07:00

Blank Drives must be partitioned and formatted BEFORE os can be installed on them.  Or you must use another WIN10 machine to make a bootable USB Recovery media downloaded from dell.

Advanced Format drives require AHCI Sata Drivers.

There is support for this but its not free.

• WinPE - You must use tools contained in WinPE (like diskpart.exe) to configure the hard disk when restoring an operating system.

The table below lists Dell Optiplex computers that have been tested with Windows 10 Anniversary Update. If your computer model is not listed, Dell is not testing the device, and drivers have not been updated for that model.

Model

OptiPlex 3010

OptiPlex 3020

OptiPlex 3020M

OptiPlex 3030 All In One

OptiPlex 3040

OptiPlex 3046

OptiPlex 3240 All-in-One

OptiPlex 5040

OptiPlex 7010

OptiPlex 7020

OptiPlex 7040

OptiPlex 7440 AIO

OptiPlex 9010

OptiPlex 9020

OptiPlex 9020M

OptiPlex 9030 All In One

OptiPlex XE2

3 Posts

February 10th, 2017 07:00

Yes I understand that the new drive must be partitioned and formatted, but that doesn't answer WHY I am not able to reinstall the OS using the Dell OEM Windows 10 media that comes shipped with current Dell desktops, as was previously capable with Dell OEM media for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1?

Are you saying that the Dell OEM Windows 10 media that ships with the system can NOT restore the Operating System to a new hard drive, even if that drive is partitioned and formatted?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 10th, 2017 08:00

NVME drivers are not native to windows 10.  Therefore those drivers must be loaded in your bootable WIN10PE USB or Disk so that the OS can "See" a drive to be formatted by diskpart.  Once there is a formatted drive and partition the restore media can write the files back to it.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2017 08:00

Does Dell have a "How To' on how to create the Win10PE USB thumb drive, in order to load the appropriate drivers at pre-boot, so that the OEM media can then 'see' the drive and reinstall?   I am familiar with creating a Windows 10 USB thumbdrive using the Microsoft Media Tool creation tool, but I'm guessing that creating the Win10PE USB thumbdrive is different?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 10th, 2017 09:00

There is support for this it is not free.   So no Dell does not have a "how to" .  Typical onsite support engineer costs $250,000 per year for 24 x 7 x 365  4 hour support.
https://support.software.dell.com/pdf/Dell-Software-Designated-Support-Engineer.pdf

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 12th, 2017 04:00

Toss the DVD in the bin... its likely an obsolete build of Windows 10 and the UEFI BIOS has issues booting from a DVD when SecureBoot is Enabled.

Ensure you have a UEFI Boot and SecureBoot is Enabled. On another computer Download the Windows 10 RS1 .iso from Microsoft and make a Bootable USB using the GPT partition scheme for UEFI BIOS and clean install. See here for details:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

No Events found!