I'm using MDT to deploy a custom image of Windows 7 to an OptiPlex 7040 with an NVMe SSD. The imaging process goes fine until the first reboot. Windows fails to load and gets stuck in a reboot loop. I know this is because of incompatibility between Windows 7 and the Skylake/Braswell chipset and the drive. I tried injecting the Microsoft patches for Windows 7 and NVMe drives with DISM, but that didn't work. MDT has the latest drivers for the 7040 that are available on Dell's deployment site. I followed the procedure here: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN300564
The problem with that is the chipset drivers from Dell extract to an executable, not driver files I can use to inject into the WIM file. I have the USB3 drivers, just need the ones for the chipset. Maybe that will help. Has anyone else come across a solution to this?
Here's what I did, which eventually worked.
1. Install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK)
2.Create the folders C:\share\Win7 , C:\share\temp , C:\share\NVMEw7fix , C:\share\NVMEw7fix2
3. Download hotfix 2990941 for NVMe and extract to C:\share\NVMEw7fix
4. Download hotfix for stop error after you install hotfix 2990941 and extract to C:\share\NVMEw7fix2
5. Launch Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment (CMD in Windows Kits)
6. Run these commands to inject the hotfixes:
DISM /mount-wim /wimfile:"c:\share\Win7\Win7Ent_18062015.wim" /index:2 /mountdir:c:\share\temp
DISM /image:c:\share\temp /add-package /packagepath:c:\share\NVMEw7fix
DISM /image:c:\share\temp /add-package /packagepath:c:\share\NVMEw7fix2
DISM /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\share\temp /commit
7. Re-upload to MDT and deploy.
Windows 7 does not support NVME out of the box.
Advanced format drives REQUIRE F6 drivers.
To apply this hotfix, you must first install SP1 for Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2.