Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2012 10:00

Cannot access bios - bypasses Dell logo screen & starts windows

I need to access the bios on a Vostro 460 to change the boot sequence to boot from a CD before the harddirve.

When I start the computer, the Dell logo never displays, so there's no opportunity to press F2 to enter the bios setup. It just goes to the Windows startup and continues. The computer starts and runs normally, except that I cannot access the BIOS.

If I start pressing the F2 key after powering on the computer, it still does not enter the bios and the computer doesn't start. I just sits there with a blank screen.

I removed the CMOS battery and disconnected the power. That did reset the computer's clock back to 2005, which shows the cmos did reset, but when I boot the computer, I still cannot access the bios.

To be completely clear: I am NOT getting a password prompt to enter the bios. I simply cannot access it.

I do not know what happened that would prevent the Dell logo to display.

Does the logo actually have to display before I can press F2? Perhaps, I should try powereing on and then waiting 30 seconds before pressing the F2 key.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or why it is happening would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Geoff

2 Posts

August 26th, 2012 16:00

In examining the motherboard, I found a CMOS reset jumper and used it. Once reset, the Dell logo screen displayed and I could use the F2 key to get into the BIOS.

Now, I have another problem: The HDMI connection stopped working when the BIOS was reset. The VGA connector works.

I looked in the bios, but I did not see a setting that activated or de-activated the HDMI connector, which I assume to be automatic.

Any ideas on that?

677 Posts

August 27th, 2012 07:00

Hi hostricity,

Reinstalling the video driver and flashing the BIOS software should fix the issue. Please find the link below to find the video and BIOS drivers for your system.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/Product/vostro-460

Let us know in case of any queries.

Thanks and Regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

4.4K Posts

May 30th, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                      

No Events found!