Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2011 13:00

Cannot back up my Dell Vostro 320

I have a Dell Vostro 320 that is about nine months old and out of warranty.  I bought it (new) from a rent to own place and it had no media with it.  The back up and restore center icon kept coming up so I finally went and purchased some CD-R and CD-RW disks from walmart to use to back up my system.  Long story short, the computer won't back up.

I put a disk in the drive and the back up begins, but then it stops midway through and tells me to insert a disk into the drive.  Um...there IS a  disk in the drive.  I take out the disk i have in, put in a new one (brand new, blank, fresh out the box) it formats it, starts the back up again, and AGAIN stops after a few minutes and tells me to insert a disk into the drive. I've done this at least five times now.  I don't understand what's going on.  Is there a special kind of disk I"m supposed to buy?  The disk drive works just fine b/c I can watch dvd's and play games and cd's with no problem.  

System Specs

Model: Vostro 320

Pentium Dual Core CPU E5500 @280 GHz   279GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB

32 bit operating system

Windows 7 installed

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

December 18th, 2011 13:00

CD's are not big enough to use as backup disks with windows 7. (You cannot use rewritable disks of any kind.) Win 7 is looking for an external or second internal hard disk or large thumb drive. It will back up to dvd's (many, many dvd's) but that is not practical or reliable. If you don't want to do a system image and clone the whole drive, just copy your personal files--music, docs, photos etc to cd's or dvd's. Best to buy an external hard drive for backups. It will store system images and all your files. BTW, you can turn off messages about backup. Just check the box with that choice when the message comes up.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2011 14:00

*facepalms*  LOL well don't I feel foolish :)

Thank you so much.  I couldn't figure out what was happening.  That totally makes sense thank you so much for the help :)

No Events found!