Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2006 16:00

Cannot disable OS Install Mode

Our Dimension 4700 turned itself off for unkown reasons while unattended and not connected to the internet. At first it wouldn't even turn the monitor back on so we could see what it was doing. Now it is back to normal except that the OS Install Mode is enabled limiting us to only 256 ram. We go into System Setup and the option to turn it off should be in Post Behavior but it isn't there. We only find the options here for Fastboot, Numlock Key, Post Hotkeys, and Keyboard Errors. What turned this mode on in the first place and more importantly, how do we turn it off and get access to the rest of our installed ram???

4 Posts

July 10th, 2006 20:00

Fixed. Decided to try resetting to the factory defaults because the manual said the default setting is off and now the OS install mode is finally off. That was our ultimate goal so we have all our ram back. Still don't have the option to enable/disable this in the bios settings, I've no idea why. Downloaded the latest bios update from Dell too but that did nothing to help us. Who ever said anything about computers should ever make sense, right?

January 21st, 2007 05:00

have the same problem.
can not see the setting of the os install mode anywhere.
s.

9.4K Posts

January 21st, 2007 12:00

Mike, try clearing the NVRAM by using the procedure I have outlined below.  This will not only clearing the NVRAM, but also will default all your BIOS options back to their recommended factory settings which will turn off the OS Install Mode option. 
  • Reboot system and enter the BIOS Setup by pressing F2. 
  • Turn on Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and  Num Lock.
  • Press ALT + E then ALT + F (should hear beep) then ALT + B

If that doesn't resolve the problem then I would try a new motherboard battery.  The loss of hardware configuration settings can be an indicator of the battery failing.  A new 3-Volt, CR2032, coin cell battery can be purchased for around $3 (US) and is available at any Radio Shack, computer stores and most discount stores like Wal-Mart.  For $3 it is a very cheap item to rule out as the cause of the problem.  You can click here <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for information on how to replace the battery from your model's on-line Service Manual.   While the battery is being changed I would recommend clearing the NVRAM by the procedure I have listed below.

With the machine unplugged from the wall remove the battery from the motherboard.  Then with the machine still unplugged press the On button for 30 seconds to dissipate any remaining electrical charge on the motherboard.  Then re-install the battery, plug the machine back into the wall and see if it will boot normally.

1 Message

February 24th, 2008 03:00

Thank you Majestic!  I struggled for 2 weeks with Dell Tech. Service calls on this issue and only solved it when I found your posting.

9.4K Posts

February 24th, 2008 11:00

Edgy1,

You're very welcome.  Glad to hear the old posting helped you out.  The answers to many a problem are already in posted in the forums here.  Unfortunately not many people take the time to search them out like you did.

4 Posts

June 11th, 2013 20:00

came across this posting and it helped with the same issue i had.  Thanks man you are a genius!!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 11th, 2013 21:00

Maybe we should add this tip to the wiki?

1 Message

April 20th, 2016 09:00

me too, thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 20th, 2016 11:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.  

No Events found!