Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2011 04:00

Cannot perform system restore

I have an Inspiron 560s with Windows 7. I have been unable to perform a restore point or restore from a previous restore point. Everytime I try I get an error about the Volume Shadow Copy Service and the error code is 0x80042318. If I then try and check in services.msc I get an error regarding res://C:\Windows\system32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.js

I may need to perform a repair install of Windows 7 if I cannot fix these problems. So far I have tried the advice here http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1127680.htm and this has not fixed the problem.

My questions are :

1. Can I perform a repair install in this machine given that I do not have the Windows 7 disc, the operating system is on the HD partition?

2. Does anyone know how to fix the above problems so that I may not need to do repair install?

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Go to device manager and from the View menu enable "Show Hidden Devices" then you will see "Storage Volume Shadow Copies" devices , then delete (uninstall) all the "generic volume..." devices under the " Storage Volume Shadow Copies" then restart pc and after restart goto system protection and wait for Windows to create the devices you have deleted before the boot. After this step create a recovery point because all of the shadow copies have been deleted and reconstructed. YMMV.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Value 0x80042318 - 0x80042318 (2147754776)
Description VSS Snapshot error. Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) cannot communicate with the writers. Check that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is started

The other error sounds like Malware.

There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.

1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

5 Posts

December 14th, 2011 05:00

I have alro ran chkdisk yesterday and the drive is only 13% used. No errors from running chkdisk.

5 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I saw this same advice on another forum. When I go to Device Manager and then view and then show hidden devices I cannot see 'Storage Volume Shadow Copies'. All I see is 'Storage Volumes' and when I expand this all I see is 7 entries for generic volume.

What could this mean?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

If its not malware it could also be a FULL and or Physically Damaged Drive that would need to be replaced.

5 Posts

Also thanks to you too. I ran a scan last night with TDSS Killer and it came back clean. I will try your advice now with the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

5 Posts

December 14th, 2011 06:00

Malicious Software Removal Scan came back clean, but at the same time MS Security Essentials had a popup claiming to have found and quarantined a java exploit. Problem still remains.

14 Posts

December 14th, 2011 09:00

Dells are very bad it hides problems while running lots of spyware and Malicious Software.  Sell it.

14 Posts

Dont buy a Dell!  HP is the way to go now.

14 Posts

Dell will not help you.  Always go to HP.  They will.

No Events found!