Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 7th, 2002 04:00

Clean Disk

Most programs on my computer when opened cause my computer to freeze. I was told by a friend to get a Clean Install Disk ... how can i get one or do i already have one? Also will that make my computer like it was from day 1? Oh and when I turn it on i get this thing where i have to choose what i want to do... 1. Normal 2. Logged 3. Safe Mode and etc... it never did that before! Please just tell me how to make it work like brand new.

18.8K Posts

Shortymel,

Assuming your system is running Window XP (you should have posted that information to help out) you can do a clean install of Windows XP using your Dell Reinstallation CD and the instructions here. Delete your current C:\ partition at step #5 and create a new C:\ from the unpartitioned space that results. Format it with NTFS using Quick Format. After XP is installed, install the drivers you have on the CDs you recieved from Dell, then install your applications.

Remember to back up all of your perishable data before you do the installation as it will erase your hard disk before XP is reinstalled.

4 Posts

Sorry I have Windows ME. I probably should have mentioned that.

if you really want your computer back to its original factory settings you can use the ZZTOP utility found on the Dell Dimension Resource CD that came with your computer. I do suggest that you backup all your data and personal settings like your address book and your email. When I mean backup your data that only means your documents, spreadsheets, saved games and all the like. Then you can run ZZTOP to run a hard drive image similar to the way it was on day one.

6 Posts

December 7th, 2002 07:00

to make your computer like new - when u turn it on put you windows me reinstall cd in from dell.  restart,  tap F12 at the 1st dell screen when your computer starts, choose boot from cd, then windows setup will start, dont repair, pick the other choice.choose delete any partitions it shows you  then choose create new partion using ntfs (not quik) then choose install windows on it. when its all done an hour later installl drivers.

51 Posts

December 7th, 2002 10:00

Win Me uses FAT32, not NTFS. Shortymel, you should upgrade to XP. I originally had ME and had various problems, the main one being low system resources. Buy the XP upgrade disc and do a clean install, it's a much easier process than Win ME. Excellent step-by-step instructions are found here: www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp. Just remember to download updated drives beforehand.

18.8K Posts

December 7th, 2002 14:00

Shortymel,

To correct the problem of the menu appearing when you start your system (choice of Normal, Safe, etc.) go to Start|Run, type msconfig and click OK. On the General tab click the "Advanced" button and on the next dialog uncheck "Enable startup menu."

The suggestion above to run Zztop has merit if your system is relatively new. Detailed instructions for the procedure can be found here. If you are advised that the image is corrupted, however, that will not work.

To reinstall a clean system, boot to a DOS prompt using your emergency boot diskette. At the prompt type format c: and click OK. After the disk is formatted, reinstall Windows ME using the instructions here, followed by your drivers, then your applications. You may want to call Dell tech support for aid in installing the drivers, if you have not done so before.

As recommended above, make sure you back up everything that is not stored on removable media before you format or you will lose that data.

4 Posts

December 19th, 2002 22:00

hey does anyone know if its possible to download windows 98 for free? b/c i have a new comp and an old one and if i cant put 98 on the old one my sister would be able to use it.... your help would be appreciated greatly... thanks!
No Events found!