Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2012 19:00

Clearing Administrator Password -Optiplex 760

OK I have followed the instructions on Dell's website:
<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> I need to change/delete the administrator password because the systems guy has passed away and I need to change the boot order on one of the machines so that we can perform a clean install of the operating system. I removed the jumpers as described in the instructions but nothing changed. I also removed the bios battery CR2032 and this too didn't change anything. Can I remove the battery and leave the machine un-powered for 24 hours to wipe everything that is hard coded in the bios? Or can somebody tell me where else is the power coming from to keep remembering the passwords? There must be a way of wiping everything to get me going. I thought I will flash the bios if this would work but I can't boot from any media because the first media it looks for is HD and I can't change anything without the Administrator password.
Please note: this question is about Bios' Administrator Password (NOT Windows Administrator Password).

I posted a similar question on Microsoft Newsgroup but they don't have a clue about this.

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 21st, 2012 20:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

If you try the steps on the link you provided it should work right away. Did you perform the steps on clearing the CMOS settings? You can try to remove the Coin Battery for a long period of time. Remove all cables attached to the motherboard. Including Rams. Then re-try again. If same thing happens, possible motherboard issue.

Let me know if you need further assistance, glad to help!

Regards,

1 Message

November 30th, 2013 09:00

Hi

I have a similar problesm on my DEll Optiplex 780. I removed the coin battery for 10-15 minutes and it did not clear the password. Which cables do I need to remove?

Thanks

1 Message

April 15th, 2014 11:00

There is a blue Jumper next to the main Power Adapter coming from the Power Supply . The Jumper is labeled pswd1 . Unplug the jumper and boot the computer. You will get a message on the screen password disabled.

1 Message

November 18th, 2014 14:00

To reset BIOS Administrator Password- If your Dell does not have a password reset jumper, or if removing the battery does not reset BIOS security try this-- 1)Unplug computer 2)remove jumper labelled PSWD 3)Replug power back. 4) with jumper out, boot to BIOS (F2)  5) BIOS is now unlocked. 6) change Administrator Password (under Security) 7) Start operating system. 8)Reinstall jumper. 9)reset time and date--                            FAILURE to reset date and time will cause internet connection loss

1 Message

August 4th, 2015 23:00

Help me get this computer password fixed , thank you, Ive tried over and over again!

1 Message

January 31st, 2016 01:00

Thanks alot. This really helped. It worked...

June 29th, 2017 09:00

Thanks a lot this was the only solution worked for me. Even though I was not able to change the admin password but it was disabled so I was able to update the bios without requiring to enter admin password.

I recommend everyone to try this and it will most possibly work.

No Events found!